18 Things You’ll Only Understand if You’re a Short Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

As a five-foot-tall girl (although it’s really more like 4’11”), there are a lot of things you have to deal with. Always being seen as the “cute” one, literally wiping out trying to step onto the bus (I kid you not, I legitimately hurt myself doing this), and feeling like you’re in a whole new world (cue Disney song) when you wear heels. See if you or someone you know can relate to these common short girl struggles!

Human Armrest

Anyone taller than you feels like they can use your shoulder (or head) as an armrest and then laugh and tell you you’re “cute” when you get mad. I feel like a piece of furniture most days. Rude.

Parkour Expert

Climbing is your specialty. Need something in the top cupboard, on that high shelf at the grocery store, in the way back of the storage room on top of a million boxes? No problem. You can climb anything and everything to get what you need.

Hearing “You’re So Short!” Every Day

People constantly feel the need to inform you of your height, as if you didn’t already know? You hear this at least once a day, usually from complete strangers.

Getting Jostled Around in Crowds

In a crowd, you are pushed around and surrounded by a sea of bags whacking you in the face. Sometimes, you can weave your way through by squeezing under people’s arms but usually, you just get a face-full of backpack.

Never Being Able to See

You always have to show up early, whether it’s to class or the movie theatre, to make sure you can get a good seat. Even if the seats are staggered, a tall person in front of you will give you about half the movie screen with a big swish of hair in between.

Finding Clothes

Even “short” pants are too long for you. You’re an expert at hemming and know where to go to find dresses that don’t dwarf you. Going on shopping trips to “normal” clothing stores always ends with you going home empty-handed.

Running to Keep Up

I can’t even tell you how many times I have to tell my boyfriend to slow down for my short legs. You probably have the strongest calves in your group from basically running to keep up with their normal pace.

Stepstools Everywhere

Most people don’t even think about having these around unless they have children; you see it as a required kitchen supply and use it daily.

Driving

If you share a car, every time you get in it you have to spend a good five minutes adjusting all the mirrors and the seat so that you can even reach the accelerator.

Being Mistaken for a Child

Going to bars and restaurants, people don’t believe that you are of age (I still get kids menus) and even sometimes dispel your ID as a fake because you look so young. (I promise it’s real!)

Never Touching the Ground in Chairs

Sitting down, especially in plush seats, you feel tiny. Without being able to touch the ground, you try your best to perch yourself on the edge and hope you don’t fall off.

Struggling to Hold Hands

My ex-boyfriend used to not even want to hold my hand because he would have to actually bend down to hold it. This is probably one of the first things you have to deal with in your relationship: learning how to hold hands.

Kissing

Similar to the hand holding, kissing can be a struggle. You probably opt to kiss on the couch or bed rather than making your SO crane their neck to kiss you.

Group Photo Struggles

If you’re not in the front, you might as well not even be in it. You also have multiple group selfies featuring only your forehead.

Boob Hugs

You’ve just gotten used to getting your face smooshed into people’s boobs every time you get a girl-hug. It’s chill.

Swimming in “Deep” Water

Because no matter where you go in the pool, the water is still too deep. You’ve either gotten really good at treading water or you make your friends hang out with you in the kiddie area.

Too Tall Mirrors

You come out of the bathroom stall to wash your hands and can’t even see your whole face. Hopefully your makeup still looks fab.

Asking Strangers to Reach Things

You have no qualms about stopping a random person and asking them to reach something for you. But not after trying to reach it yourself for five minutes.

If these are your life, you are not alone! If you are the tall friend though, please understand our plight and be sympathetic. We try our best!

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Hi! I'm a senior at the University of Pittsburgh majoring in communication and nonfiction writing. This is my third year at Her Campus Pitt and my second year as the entertainment category editor! I'm also a chapter advisor this semester! I'm a pizza-loving cat mom with a chronic habit of napping from the Boston area. I enjoy spending time binge-watching netflix, snuggling, reading, writing, cooking, and hanging out with my friends. I'm looking forward to becoming increasingly involved with everything Her Campus over the remainder of the college career! Thanks for reading my articles and always feel free to contact me with feedback :)
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt