person taking photo of pants and shoes
person taking photo of pants and shoes
SHTTEFAN/Unsplash

13 Instagram Accounts to Get You Through Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

If you’re like me, you flip to Instagram any time you need a study break.  It’s the perfect app for distractions because once you catch up on your feed, you can’t distract yourself any longer—unlike Facebook, where you could just scroll around on the site for hours on end.  In the past week alone, I followed 15 food Instagrams (I have a problem) and have become hungrier than ever.  There are so many amazing Instagram accounts out there, but it’s hard to find them.  Here is a list of accounts you must follow.   They’ll be a cute, gorgeous, delicious, or funny way to keep you sane while studying.  We all need to give our minds a break at some point, right?

1. Pugs of Instagram and Dogs of Instagram

You won’t be able to help smiling at these accounts. For those of you who love pugs, @pugsofinstagram shows the mushiest of pugs in any location or outfit possible.  If you’re an animal lover in general and would die inside at the sight of any dog, @dogsofinstagram shows a wide range of breeds, being naturally cute.  If only humans could be like dogs and didn’t even have to try to be adorable!

2. National Geographic

@natgeo not only provides breathtaking photos from all over the world, but also has a backstory to the picture in the caption.  I find this Instagram to be refreshing compared to other travel ones, as it’s more realistic.  It shows real people in their culture, rather than depicting only popular tourist areas.  If you have some wanderlust and enjoy outstanding photography, this one is a must.  @natgeo will have you admiring the beauty of the world.

3. Tips for Jesus

@tipsforjesus will restore your faith in the world. Believe me, I’m not one to have much faith in humanity, but this one gives me some hope.   The owner of this heartfelt account goes to restaurants (anonymously) and leaves his/her waitress or waiter EXTREMELY generous tips that are more than you can ever imagine.  They then Instagram their reactions and a photo of the receipt so we see how much they tipped.  It makes me believe that thoughtful do-gooders do exist in this world.

4. Cashcats

What do you get when you pair adorable cats with guns, cash, bling, and luxury? @cashcats.  I’m not even a huge cat lover, yet this Instagram still gets me every time.  These VIP cats are portrayed alongside symbols of corruption, excess, and luxury.  The Insta was originally intended to be for “high net worth felines,” but soon became a way to show cats of wealth and power. Some of the cats look pretty tough… I wouldn’t want to be the one to set them off!

5. Yoga Girl

@yoga_girl has every girl wishing they could be her.  I think most of you can attest that if we tried to do a yoga pose on a surfboard, we would be eating water within two seconds.  Rachel Brathen, a Swedish “yogi” and blogger, takes photos of her Zen yoga poses with beautiful, scenic backdrops to make the pictures lust worthy.  Providing serenity, exercise, and travel all in one photo? The photos are pretty persuasive in making you want to drop everything and get a yoga mat.

6. Josh Hara’s Cartoons on Coffee Cups

If you’re a coffee addict, @yoyoha will make you want to hire someone to draw cartoons on your coffee cup daily.  Cartoonist Josh Hara adds an edge to plain cups, using his witty sense of humor to brighten someone’s day.

7. Murad Osmann Across the Planet

This Instagram may be one of my favorites. @muradosmann leads you across the world—actually, his fiancé does.  His photos feature his girlfriend pulling his hand and leading him towards some of the most beautiful, well-known locations of the world.  It seems like these two have been all over, and with the way the picture is styled, it feels like you’re right there with them, experiencing the world.

8. Food of New York City

I may be slightly biased on this one as a New Yorker, but @New_Fork_City will have you ready to board a plane to the Big Apple.  There are just so many amazing food Instagrams that it’s hard to only choose one (@food_porn, @foodintheair, and @hungrybetches are notable as well), but the photography on this Instagram is so minimalistic that it makes the food pop.

9. Tal Peleg Makeup

I’m still having trouble believing that this is Tal Peleg’s actual designs, but after doing some digging, I can’t find anything to disprove it. @tal_peleg is a visual artist who mixes her artistic ability with makeup.  Taking art to a whole new level, Tal Peleg can make famous paintings, characters and scenes from fairy tales and novels appear on your eyelids by using liquid eyeliner, eyeshadow, and tiny appliqué particles.  This Instagram proves that there’s no definitive meaning behind art—there is beauty even in makeup.

10. Cute Boys with Cats

Yes, @cuteboys_withcats is exactly what it sounds like, girls.  You choose which is more appealing, the men or the cats, but all I know is that the combination of the two is perfect.

11. Samantha Lee’s Food Art

I’d pay @leesamantha to set my table.  This food artist creates a story on her plate by styling her food out like cartoon characters.  From Batman to Darth Vader, you’re bound to see it all.

12. Biddy the Hedgehog

The beauty of Instagram is the unique ideas users decide to take pictures of.  If you think it’s crazy to be following an Instagram of a traveling hedgehog, think again, because @biddythehedgehog is glorious. He’s so cute that you won’t be able to stop smiling while you keep on studying for that final.  (Seriously, don’t you just want to hold him in your palm?!)

13. HerCampusPitt

You knew this one was coming.  Of course you should follow us; we think we’re funny, your roommate thinks we’re funny, and really, we are funny.  We like to edit Drake into our photos, and of course, you’ll find many pictures of Cathy on @hercampuspitt.  Not to mention, we’ll follow you back! (Shhhh… it’s a secret!)

All photographs credited to their respective Instagram accounts.

Katie handles the day-to-day management, development and expansion of our chapter network to ensure that our on-campus presence is stronger than ever. She recently graduated from the University of Pittsburgh, where she studied Nonfiction Writing and Communication. Her extensive Her Campus background dates back to 2012 and she has since held the position of Campus Correspondent and Chapter Advisor. When Katie isn’t watching the Pittsburgh Penguins, you can find her trying new restaurants, obsessing over her long list of shows (The O.C., Scandal and Gilmore Girls are top picks) or setting out to find the perfect donut.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt