12 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About Curling Your Hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Curling hair is an art form that requires practice and technique. It can be a daunting task for some because their hair simply won’t hold a curl, or others don’t get their curls to turn out the way they want. With a little hair-curling insight, you can get the long-lasting perfect curls you have always wanted!

1. Apply hairspray before you curl it. 

Hairspray is the key to long-lasting curls. One surefire way to ensure that your curls hold is to coat your hair in hairspray before you curl it instead of after.

2. For tighter curls, use a small barrel. For looser wavy curls, use a big barrel.

There are all different types of barrel sizes for a reason. Pick the barrel that is best for your personal style.

3. Know your heat settings.

For thin hair, make sure your heat is set below 200 degrees Fahrenheit, for thick or coarse hair set it at 200-300 degrees Fahrenheit.

4. Clip hair close to the roots instead of at the end, and twirl your hair through the clamp.

Curling your hair from the roots creates a longer lasting curl, and in order to make twirling your hair though easier, face the clamp towards the mirror.

5. For looser curls, hold the iron vertically, for tighter curls, hold it horizontally.

6. Back-comb your roots to add volume.

You don’t necessarily need to tease your hair like crazy, but if you have thin hair, doing so just a little bit will add that volume you’re looking for.

7. Slide your hair off the wand and allow it to cool bunched up in your hand before dropping it.

This is a great way to ensure that you have tighter, longer-lasting curls.

8. For quick waves, curl your hair while it’s in a high ponytail.

If you don’t have a lot of time to curl your hair, pull it into a ponytail and curl it. It will give you a natural, wavy look to your hair once you take the ponytail out.

9. You can also curl your hair with a straightener.

This can be accomplished by twisting your hair through your straightener in a U-shape and slowly pull it though the strand of hair. The slower you go the tighter your curls will be.

10. Instead of using a curling iron, you can do bobby-pin curls.

Bobby-pin curls is a heat-free technique that can be achieved by twisting a lock of hair into a ringlet and bobby-pinning it to your head at night. The next morning when you take them out you should have a head full of bouncy curls.

11. Cut off split ends.

The more split ends you have, the more resistant your hair will be to holding a curl. Make sure to get a good trim every once and while.

12. Never curl your hair when it is wet.

I repeat again, never, ever use a curling iron hair when it is the slightest bit wet. If you do you will kill your hair, and your curls won’t hold. If your hair is wet and you want to curl your hair, try using a hair dryer and roll brush.

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

Kelly is the President/ Campus Correspondent at HC Pitt. She is a senior double majoring in English writing and communication rhetoric while pursuing a certificate in digital media. Writing has always been a passion of hers, and she hopes to work in book publishing and a best-selling author one day. She works as a tutor at Pitt's Writing Center and an intern at Creative Media Agency Inc. In her free time, she works on her novel, reads stacks of books and explores Pittsburgh with her friends.
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt