12 Romance Recs That You Wish You Knew About Sooner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

It’s no secret that I am not Colleen Hoover’s biggest fan, but she’s currently taking the romance world by storm. However, while I don’t enjoy Colleen Hoover, I’m still an avid romance reader. So, here are 12 of the best romance books (including suggestions from me, my friends and some of my favorite booktubers) that you might not have heard of.

beach read by Emily henry

When anyone asks me for a book recommendation, I almost always give an Emily Henry book in response. Emily Henry is one of my favorite authors and the newfound queen of the romance genre. Beach Read is the book that started it all and has features like enemies to lovers, forced proximity, and grumpy x sunshine. 

she drives me crazy by kelly quindlen

A queer romance that has been recommended to me by my friends again and again. This YA novel features a spectacular love story between high school basketball star Scottie Zajac and her archnemesis, cheerleader Irene Abraham. 

it happened one summer by tessa bailey

A spicy romance that both my friends and the king of BookTube himself, Jack Edwards, can’t stop raving about. It Happened One Summer features incredible banter, more grumpy x sunshine and some hometown charm. 

tweet cute by emma lord

One of the most charming YA novels I’ve ever read, Tweet Cute is hilarious, romantic and slightly prosperous all at once. Featuring two grilled cheese restaurants, two overachieving students and one incredible love story this is perfect for any rom-com lover. 

the unhoneymooners by chrisitina Lauren

According to many of my friends, this is THE romance book. Full of charm and fake dating while also being set against the background of a destination wedding, this is the ultimate vacation read. 

the charm offensive by alison cochrun

A recommendation from my favorite BookTuber, A Clockwork Reader, this queer romance takes a head-first dive into the world of reality TV.

the summer I turned pretty trilogy by jenny han

Now hear me out on this one, reading these books is like returning to your 15-year-old self in the best way possible. Full of adorable romance, a crazy love triangle and a deep discussion of what family really means, this trilogy is guaranteed to steal your heart.

one true loves by taylor jenkins reid

Before there was Evelyn Hugo there was One True Loves – a story about love lost and then found, and then found again. My friends have done nothing short of absolutely rave about this one. 

kiss her once for me by alison cochrun

Christmas romance rec from A Clockwork Reader (and a December 2022 Book of the Month pick). This queer romance features fake dating, a cozy setting and an intense connection. 

heartstopper by alice oseman

This graphic novel series (which also has an incredible Netflix adaptation) is one of my favorite stories in the entire world. Focusing on Nick and Charlie and their budding relationship, this series also explores themes of mental health, navigating high school and sexuality.

better than the movies by lynn painter

Featuring the boy next door, friends to lovers and tons of Taylor Swift and movie references, this is the ultimate book for rom-com lovers. 

the dead romantics by ashley poston

A book recommendation from Emily Henry herself, this romance features discussions of grief, a return to a forgotten hometown and a romance that’s absolutely to die for.

Happy reading!

Lauren Deaton is a second-year student at the University of Pittsburgh, she is currently serving both as Chapter Chair and Writer. She most frequently writes about entertainment topics– including music recommendations, topics of representation, and anticipated movie lists. Lauren is double majoring in English Literature and Media and Professional Communications with a focus on Public and Professional Writing. She is also pursuing a Film and Media Studies minor and is a member of the Honors College. She recently completed a communications internship with the Fletcher Free Library and will be beginning a research position with the Language and Literacy Division at Pitt during the Fall 2023 semester. In the future, she hopes to work in publishing helping to increase access to representation. She is also a writer for Studio 412 a creative outlet on Pitt’s campus and is a member of Alpha Epsilon Phi Sorority. Lauren loves her dog, her friends, her family, and everything reading, coming of age and cold brew related.