This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

While Pittsburgh is great any time of the year, something about this city during the autumn months is so special. Between the Steelers being in season, regardless of how well they are playing, and the beautiful leaves, fall in Pittsburgh is simply the best. Fall is one of the best times to go out and explore the Pittsburgh area due to the comfortable temperatures and many sunny days throughout the season. While there are many fun things to do and places to visit during the fall, today I’m going to share my favorite places to go and the places you definitely should not miss in Pittsburgh during these months. 

Soergel Orchards 

Located north of the city, Soergel Orchards is a farm and market that hosts an annual fall festival full of autumn activities. From the end of September through October, Soergel Orchards offers pumpkin and apple picking, hayrides, delicious fall treats in the country store and other traditional fall activities. The atmosphere of the Orchard during autumn is sure to launch you right into an episode of Gilmore Girls and it’s a great place to go with friends to pick up a pumpkin to carve or enjoy delicious apple cider. Soergels is a place you shouldn’t pass up during the fall season and it’s sure to launch you right into the spirit of this crisp colorful season.

Scarehouse 

If you’re looking for something a little scarier, ScareHouse is the perfect place to visit this Halloween season. Recently relocated to the Galleria at Pittsburgh Mills, ScareHouse is one of the scariest haunted houses in the nation according to CBS. In 2010, Forbes Magazine ranked ScareHouse as one of  “The 10 Wickedest Haunted Houses In America.” Now featuring an escape room and an arcade at their new and larger location, ScareHouse will not disappoint if you’re seeking a thrill. You can purchase tickets ahead of time on their website but act fast because time is running out to visit the scariest place in the burgh!

Frick Park 

Frick Park is Pittsburgh’s largest municipal park and it’s located near the Squirrel Hill neighborhood. This escape from the bustling city of Pittsburgh is also home to some of the most beautiful fall foliage in the area and the Frick Park Loop hiking trail is the perfect way to see and admire the stunning fall leaves. This moderate-level hiking loop is around five miles long and a great way to get out into nature and enjoy the natural beauty of the fall season in Pittsburgh. 

Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens

Located just outside of Oakland, Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens houses beautiful flowers and plants all year long and features seasonal shows showcasing the flowers of each season. This fall Phipps’ fall flower show called “Blooms under the Big Top” features mums of all different sizes and colors and beautiful carnival-themed displays that will launch you right into the circus of your childhood dreams. The exhibit complete with funhouse mirrors and topiary animals is sure to wow everyone and is free to visit with a University of Pittsburgh student ID.  

Happy fall!  

Hi!! My name is Abby Nicolette and I am a freshman at the University of Pittsburgh studying Communication Rhetoric. Some of my favorite things include Harry Styles, skiing, and pasta.