10 Ways to Get Outside When it’s the Last Thing You Feel Like Doing

I love the winter time. I love the festive cheer around the holidays, the fuzzy socks and thick scarves I get to wear, the taste of hot chocolate with extra marshmallows. Above all, my favorite thing about winter is staying inside and snuggling under the covers while watching a good movie. Although winter has so much to offer, it comes with some very real challenges, the biggest one being the freezing cold. The weather can make it really difficult to go outside and catch some very needed Vitamin D and other mood boosters that come with spending time outside. This list has helped me get outside this winter and I hope it helps you too!

1. 1. Manifest that sh¡t

I totally belive in manifestation. If I wake up and tell myself I am going to workout then I end up working out most of the time. Tell yourself you're going to get outside today and then go get outside!

Lana Condor Peter Kavinsky GIF by NETFLIX
  2. 2. Write it down

I love calendars. Mine is color-coded and always up to date. If you're like me, writing it down in your planner or putting it in your iCal when you want to go outside will not only hold you accountable but also show you that there is always time in your day to get out!

girl journaling
  3. 3. Change your mindset

Look at time spent outside as a reward, not a chore.

4. 4. Make a playlist

I have never met a person who doesn't like music. Sometimes it's the only thing that gets me through a bad mood or less than ideal situation. Make a playlist with your favorite songs that will get you excited to listen to it while you're outside.

5. 5. Treat yourself

Buy some cute new snow gear because layers, layers, layers. Gloves, hats, scarves, chunky sweaters, jackets! Nothing makes me more excited to go out than when I’m wearing a cute new outfit.

Treat yo self gif
  6. 6. Have a plan

Walk somewhere with a destination in mind, whether that be a coffee shop, the supermarket or work.

goals, coffee, notebook
  7. 7. Don’t have a plan

If you have a busy day and suddenly have five minutes of free time, use that time to take a quick walk around the block. If you have nothing going on all day and just want to wander, wander!

Will Ferrel Jump GIF
  8. 8. Try something new

Whether you plan it or not, never stop exploring. Try that new study place. Go to a different place to get coffee or food. The options are endless.

person holding small globe
  9. 9. Don’t do it alone

Safely get a group of friends together. You can plan to meet up somewhere for a quick outing or make a day of it and go sledding, skating, skiing or snowboarding.

A gif of the cast of Bridesmaid running towards a location
  10. 10. Give yourself grace

Lastly and most importantly, don’t put too much pressure on yourself! Celebrate the small victories because they're just as important as the big ones. Times are hard and we’re all trying our best.

The Irishman