This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

The first time I ever tried to curl my hair, I was 14 and it was for the Wizard of Oz production at my community theater. I had NO idea what I was doing so – let’s just say that I ended up with Shirley Temple curls on my thin hair that only went down to my chin. Not my best look! In the eight years since that show, I have learned a lot about how to curl my own hair and how to curl other people’s hair. So, I decided it was time to share my wisdom.

1. Know if you want a curling iron with a clip or not 

When purchasing your first curling iron, I would recommend one without a clip on it for easy use. This way, your technique can involve simply wrapping a one-inch piece of your hair around the wand and letting it fall. Her Campus just provided us with Bed Head Curlipops 1 inch curling irons and I would recommend this one to anyone who’s looking for a basic first iron that does a great job!

2. Use heat protectant! 

This is very important if you don’t want your beautiful curls to end up being very frizzy. I like the It’s a 10 miracle leave in conditioner because it protects my hair and keeps it shiny but any product will do! Just protect those gorgeous locks.  

3. Where you start your curl will determine how long it lasts 

When you hold the curling iron up, the closer you bring it to your head, the longer the curl will last and the curlier the hair will be! If you start to curl your hair halfway down the piece of hair, it will be straight at the top and then curly at the bottom. I would recommend holding the barrel closer to your head for bottom layers of hair and farther down the hair shaft for face framing pieces.  

4. How you wrap your hair also determines curl type 

When you wrap your hair around the barrel, it does matter how you twist your hair. Once you have mastered the art of wrapping your hair around the barrel and get a look you like, try and experiment with these techniques to up your curling iron game. 

5. Wrap your hair away from your face 

I have curled many people’s hair and I almost always wrap the face framing curls away from their face. This keeps your hair out of your face and also helps with any styles or updos you want to try. If you want neater curls, wrap all of the hair on either side of your face away from your face. If you want a messier look, mix up the directions of your wrapping – so away and then forward – to give the look more volume.  

6. Let the curl cool in your hand before you release it 

This is a super important step to helping your curls last a long time. When you hold the curl in your hand to let it cool, the hair has a chance to form into the shape you want before you let it down. If your hair is hard to curl, you may want to pin your curls to your head after you curl them and let them curl there.  

7. Turn the curling iron upside down on either side to get closer to your roots 

This can really only be explained with a picture. But remember, bring the curling iron around behind your head so that you avoid burning your face or hand! 

8. Your curls will change based on iron position 

If you hold your curling iron vertically (which is what I usually do), then your curls will be looser. If you hold the iron horizontally, then your curls will be much bouncier. I’d only recommend trying the horizontal method if you have very short hair and are looking for a lot of curl.  

9. Don’t go overboard on the hairspray 

Unless you’re going for a huge, eighties inspired hairstyle, take it easy with the hairspray. I like the Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine Hairspray because it holds my hair well without making it too crunchy. Spray a little hairspray on your completed style and then gently scrunch it into your curls to hold them into place.  

10. Go to YouTube for more tips! 

I learned so many of my hair curling tips from YouTube. There are literally thousands of girls out there ready to teach you all of their tricks. Whatever problem you have, someone has a solution. One of my favorite channels that I have been consulting for years is Kayley Melissa. She is very informative while also being adorable! I’ve attached one of my favorite videos that she has posted below. 

Good luck ladies!! The best thing you can do is practice a lot and you’ll find the method that works best for you! 

Image Credits: 123456 

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt