10 Things to do at Pitt before Graduation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

The word graduation tends to bring fear and tears to our eyes. Whether you are planning on going off to graduate school or finding a job, life as we know it at Pitt will end. We will be separated from our friends that we may have known since the first day of freshman year; and going out for that casual Monday night margarita at Mad Mex will no longer be acceptable. It’s a scary thought for anyone. But, it is only September. We have the rest of the year to fill our minds with memories that will stay with us long after April 2014. 

Here is a list of 10 things that all University of Pittsburgh seniors should do before heading out:

1. Attend a Steelers tailgate and game: Take advantage of the city that we are living in! Not every college student gets to live down the street from a prestigious NFL arena with an even more notorious fan base. The Steelers and their fans may be loud and crazy, but this experience is a must. Go all out! Put on your black and yellow, make some food, grab some drinks and watch the Steelers dominate their opponents – or at least try to! 

2. The Fountain Jump in Oakland: Jumping into the fountain by the Frick Fine Arts building has been a milestone for many seniors in years past. Jumping into the ice-cold water around late March or early April makes for a great story and an even better photo.

3. Go on Spring Break with your best friends: After college, there will be no such thing as a ‘Spring Break.’ Work, family, and most likely money will get in the way of that. So pick a destination with your closest friends and make the most of the sunshine, sand and water. 

4. Go to a Pirates Game: So the Pirates may not have always been the best team in Major League Baseball, but they’re in the lead for number one seed this year. Once again, Pittsburgh houses two beautiful major league arenas. This is another picturesque part of Pittsburgh. Buy cheap tickets and get a group of friends to go!

5. Eat at Burgatory: This place is truly magical, whether you like burgers or not. If you’re not a burger lover try their milkshakes, with or without alcohol. There are also endless amounts of toppings and creations that can be stacked atop a burger. Whether you want veggie, beef or turkey- the juices that ooze out of the burgers and into your mouth will make your taste buds go wild.

6. Ride the Incline: Whoever said Pittsburgh doesn’t have a beautiful view has obviously never been on the Duquesne Incline. Amazing sights of the three rivers, forty-some bridges and even a bit of downtown’s skyline is visible.

7. Bar Crawl In the Southside: Pittsburgh is home to many famous bars, restaurants and lounges, but South Side is the city’s capital of food and fun. Some bars are small, with unique themes such as The Library and the Bicycle Bar. Some are worth spending some time inside and out, like the Hofbrahaus or Claddagh. Either way, there are plenty to discover–conveniently within walking distance of each other. So get your friends together, make a t-shirt, and grab a drink at each different location; maybe even make a game of it. The possibilities are endless!

8. Take a Picture With Cathy: The Cathedral of Learning is the largest academic building in the country, and it is only a few steps away from where many of us have resided the past four years. Take advantage and take photos on a nice day, rainy day, and at night when it looks to be haunted. No other school has an academic structure quite like this and most of us have become accustomed to seeing it. Next time you walk by, whip out that camera phone as I’m sure Cathy would be happy to pose.

9. Walk around Phipps: Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens is an amazing place to walk around and just think. Perfect for a day trip with your parents, or an afternoon date with a crush you’ve wanted to talk to all semester. The beautiful flowers and plants combined with the delectable smells make for a perfect stroll.

10. Eat at Conflict Kitchen: Conflict Kitchen is a local food stand where the cuisine is based off of the country currently in a dispute with the US. The concept is clever and makes for a great conversation starter. The Conflict Kitchen is in Schenley Plaza, and on a sunny day makes for a great treat! If you want to learn more about how Conflict Kitchen started, check out our own Katie Crivellaro’s spotlight piece under the news section.

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt