This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pepperdine chapter.

Olivia Rodrigo’s hit single “drivers license” is currently topping all of the global charts for the sixth week in a row. YouTube is replete with “Reaction to ‘drivers license’ videos (I know because I have watched most of them). The song is all over TikTok. 

If you haven’t heard it, you may be wondering if it is worth the hype. I, myself, wondered this before listening. As a classical musician, I am generally skeptical of popular music. Now, having listened to it (many times) and analyzed it, I will distill the underlying genius and artistry behind this song into a few simple points so that I can validate and encourage your obsession!

*Disclaimer: For the purposes of this article not turning into a full dissertation, I’m not going to discuss the music video. However, I highly recommend watching it. It’s beautifully shot and adds another dimension to this work of art.

1. Olivia’s voice. I figured I would start with the obvious. Olivia Rodrigo was only 17 years old when she recorded the song, and her vocal control is insane. If you have listened to her performances for the Grammy Museum or on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, it’s obvious she doesn’t need autotune. Additionally, her ability to know when to use different registers of her voice to properly deliver her lyrics in the most effective way reveals her true artistry. What would this song be without her powerful belting or her flawless falsetto? 

2. Variability. Olivia follows the general form for a pop song: verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, chorus — which can get pretty monotonous if you’re not careful. Olivia’s solution to this is to incorporate other musical elements when something is repeated, and alter how she sings something the second time around. This allows the repetition of the chorus and melody of the verses to have a renewed energy, while still maintaining cohesion throughout the song. Basically, you won’t get bored, and you will remember it. 

3. Seamless transitions. Of course, the most iconic transition is right at the beginning, where the sound of the seatbelt warning turns into the piano chords that serve as a basis for most of the song. In general, each section of her song flows smoothly into the next because of her natural talents for storytelling and creating musical tension and release. 

4. The bridge. Need I say more? No, but I’m going to anyway. Without even getting into the gorgeous lyrics, this bridge is stellar. It provides such a contrast to the piano and solo voice we had for the rest of the song. Instead, you have ambiguous instruments and voices. Essentially, she created the perfect vibes in this bridge. It’s a complete release of her angst, and it’s absolutely beautiful. 

5. Poetic title. It seems simple, right? She just got her driver’s license. If you really think about it though, this song obviously has nothing to do with the driver’s license. The driver’s license merely serves as a catalyst to this outpouring of grief, pain, and unrequited love. 

6. The “driving” rhythm. No pun intended. Throughout the song, the piano’s constant beat keeps the song moving forward and helps to build tension. You’ll notice that the parts of the song that have a feeling of release do not have this underlying beat, or if they do, it’s subdued compared to the rest of the song. The end of the chorus when she says, “‘cause you said forever now I drive alone past your street,” is an example of the release found in taking this beat away. It’s important to note that these points of tension and release coincide with the lyrics. The line “I just can’t imagine how you could be so okay now that I’m gone” is perhaps one of the most angsty lines, and it occurs at the pinnacle of the buildup into the chorus, with an extremely strong underlying beat to move us forward.

7. Vulnerability. The most important aspect of this song is Olivia’s willingness to honestly admit exactly where she is, no matter how dark or insecure. As Olivia said in her Grammy Museum interview, songwriting allows you to be “kind of pathetic, and it’s empowering.” In this way, she validates many people who may have felt insecure, heart-broken, or small at any point. Because of the profound detail in her lyrics, we can relate fully to her feelings, whether or not we’ve been through exactly this situation.

If you gain nothing else from this article, just watch the music video and listen closely. Even if a sappy breakup song isn’t your usual cup of tea, the quality and depth of “drivers license” is sure to strike a chord with anyone. If I, the pretentious, snooty, classical musician can shamelessly fall in love with this song, you can too.

Rachel Miner

Pepperdine '21

Classical musician, coffee aficionado, and Her Campus Pepperdine's resident expert in The Office. Senior double major in Viola Performance and Hispanic Studies.
Hannah Miller

Pepperdine '21

Senior Associate, Integrated Marketing (Activation) at Her Campus Media + former Campus Correspondent at the Her Campus Pepperdine Chapter!