What You Need to Network Like a Boss

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pepperdine chapter.

Linkedin

LinkedIn is a more traditional form of networking, but it’s an important one. You can find people in the fields you’re interested in as well as internships and jobs. It’s basically an online easy-to-post online resume that you can use to start building your network.

Sharpr & Bumble Bizz

There’s been a rise of networking apps that work just like dating apps. The dating app Bumble has their own version of a networking app called Bumble Bizz and it is growing by the second. Another app similar to that is Sharpr. You fill out a profile with industry interests, get 20 other profiles to look at a day, and just swipe right or left on them.

Instagram (and other Social Media)

You probably weren’t expecting this one, and in this case, it really depends on who you are and what your interests are. Certain industries use social media more than others, and if you’re interested in those industries you want be able to show that you understand and have a handle on social media. Instagram is a pretty easy way to showcase all your abilities whether that be writing with your bio and captions as well as photography and just having a good eye for those kind of things.

No matter the industry you’re interested in though, always be careful about what you post. 

Business Cards

Even in this digital age, business cards are a necessity. They’re easy to hand out and you can get them for a really good price. Take the time to design a nice business card, because you will be judged by it. 

Melissa Locke

Pepperdine '21

This is my senior year of college and I'm a Public Relations major with a Creative Writing outside concentration. I was born and raised in So-Cal and love it so much I couldn't go too far. As much as South California is my home, I adore traveling and learning about other cultures. A Disney fan to the core you can find me watching any of their movies, or breaking my bank account at Disneyland, and if not I'll probably be reading, writing, or enjoying the Malibu climate.