This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pepperdine chapter.

Being a university student in a school that is so close to one of the largest cities in the nation is pretty cool. There are endless options for entertainment, and coming from a small city, this was definitely something I was planning on taking advantage of as an incoming student. However, several semesters and a year abroad later, my “L.A. Bucket List” has few items that have been checked off. Realizing this is significantly disappointing. There is so much to do and see in this city! Many of my friends agree that they haven’t exactly taken advantage of our location either. Studying abroad made me realize that everything is about balance. My excuses as a freshman were always regarding my lack of time. I never had enough time to check out the cool bookstore in Hollywood or to go see the new museum exhibit downtown; however, I did have enough time to visit Iceland for a weekend last year! So what’s the difference? Well, probably my mindset. Being on campus can sometimes suck us into an almost robotic state, in which we just go through the motions: class, work, meeting, convocation, coffee dates, studying, etc. This simply isn’t the best way to go about our college lives. Let’s make the time and enjoy our surroundings before the real adulting comes! Here are some ideas for fun day trips to take in and around Los Angeles. I hope they inspire you to grab a friend and set off on an adventure. 

1. Be a Tourist! 

What better way to get to know the city you live in than taking a tour? Let’s get real, those hop-on, hop-off buses are pretty fun! Purchase the Starline Tours 24-hour ticket and you can choose from four different tour routes. Another great way of seeing the city is by taking the night tour; besides, who doesn’t love the L.A. lights?

2. Beverly Hills

Put on your favorite oversized sunglasses and head to Rodeo Drive. Start your day off at the coffee shop of your choice. Then, walk around the area, and walk into a few stores. It will practically be as if you’re in a Pretty Woman scene. After enjoying a full day of extensive window shopping, stop by Sprinkles or Ice Cream Lab for dessert before going home.

3. Museum Day

Make a list of a few museums you want to visit and try to go to at least three of them in one day. A good idea is visiting the Getty Center, then LACMA, and finally the Broad. It may take a while to get from one to the next, but they are all great museums. Other museums to check out: the Natural History Museum, Annenberg Space for Photography, MOCA, the Grammy Museum, California Science Center, and the Getty Villa. Look up the museums’ exhibits and special events calendar to schedule a day that seems the most interesting to you!

4. Spend a Day in Santa Monica

Santa Monica is an awesome city! There is so much to do and see, and you’ll get your daily exercise in while walking throughout the city. Start with Montana Ave., pick a coffee shop (there are many), and spend some time people watching as you drink your coffee or tea. Then, walk down the entire street until you get to the residential area. There are so many shops, both cute and quirky, so walk into any and all that seem appealing to you, if only for a couple of minutes. After that, walk along Ocean Ave. until you get to Third Street Promenade. There are many great opportunities for shopping there! Finally, finish off by walking to the pier and taking in the scene. 

5. Visit the Griffith Observatory 

The Los Feliz neighborhood is beautiful, so take advantage of this area and start the day by exploring it. Stop by the nearby Milk on Silver Lake Blvd. for a great sandwich lunch; you may also want to try their macaron ice cream sandwiches for dessert. Griffith Park is a great place for a hike. Then, finish the day by visiting the Griffith Observatory and watching the sunset whilst up there. There’s also a great view of the city from that location!

6. Universal City

Take a walk along the CityWalk; there are plenty of things you can do whilst there. You can also visit Universal Hollywood Studios for a fun day at an amusement park.      PS: You may want to wait until after April 7 when The Wizarding World of Harry Potter opens.

7. Hollywood

Hollywood is a great place to go to for an entertaining day. You can walk down the Hollywood Walk of Fame and look for your favorite celebs’ stars. After that, you may want to consider a tour of the Dolby Theatre; there are so many fun Academy Awards facts you can learn on it. You can also visit the Chinese Theatre and the Hollywood and Highland Center around it, which also has great restaurants and shops, so check those out as well! Bonus: Hollywood is always a great place for people watching!

8. Santa Barbara 

Take in the sights strolling down State Street, or spend some time hiking on one of the many trails in the area. Drive by Montecito and stop along the way to take some fun pictures! Don’t forget to stop by McConnell’s Fine Ice Creams before driving back!

9. Beach Town Hopping

Start your day off by going to Venice and walking around Abbot Kinney and Main Street; you should also walk to the canals in Venice because they are beautiful, and the houses by them are amazing! Next, drive to Marina del Rey and Hermosa Beach to take in the scenes there. Don’t take too long, though, since you will probably want to make it out to Long Beach before sunset. There, you can take a tour of the Queen Mary and possibly attend one of the festivals that take place throughout the year. If you’re in the mood for a dessert after a long day of visiting cute beach towns, you may want to go to Frosted Cupcakery.

10. Disneyland

Of course I had to save the best option for last! Disneyland is the answer to everything! Well, maybe not everything, but it’s close to it! Saving up some money for a Disneyland field trip isn’t the worst idea… Grab a group of friends and head out to Anaheim post-midterms or finals to celebrate how hard you have worked in school! 

Paola Ramos

Pepperdine

I'm a Pepperdine University senior from Texas. I'm a Leo, a total dog lover, and an avid reader. Spanish is my first language, so I am bilingual and working on being trilingual (I just need to turn my conversational French into fluent French). I love to write; it's a way of life!