Studying?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Studying?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pepperdine chapter.

I’m not sure about you, but I am someone who gets distracted very easily while trying to study. Even in a ~quiet~ place like the library, I can’t focus with all the movement and hushed conversations. I am always blasting something in my ears to tune the rest of the world out and focus better. Keep reading for tips on listening to something while studying!

person using laptop at a desk
Photo by Christin Hume from Unsplash

Start listening before you start studying.

No matter what you have playing in your ears, start listening to it before you start studying. Look at your planner, scroll through your phone, walk around… just do something. It helps establish what you are listening to as background noise to whatever thing you are doing. If I turn on music and immediately attempt to read a chapter in my textbook, it’s too much for my brain to handle at once. But, if I listen for a minute or two before working, I can do my work with ease, since my brain has already established the music as background noise I can tune out.

Listen to a designated playlist of songs, solely to be listened to while working. 

I have a playlist of songs that keep me motivated, my spirits up, and can let me dance in my seat. Even though they’re fun, good songs that I enjoy, they keep me focused. Because I only listen to the playlist while getting work done, my brain automatically associates it with productivity, and I’m not distracted by the words.

Listen to white noise. 

There are so many different forms of white noise. There is the traditional humming white noise, but there are also so many other options. My favorite forms of white noise to listen to are rain, waves, and coffee shop sounds. The options are endless — you could even listen to cleaning if that’s what works for you.

Listen to one album on repeat. 

One of my favorite things to do while working is listen to a new album on repeat. Because it is new, I don’t know the words yet, so I can’t sing along. I’m not even tempted to. As I am writing this article, I am listening to Changes, Biebs’ new album. 

Listen to one song on repeat.

At some point, you don’t even realize when the song ends and starts again anymore. The night “Lights Up” by Harry Styles came out, I pulled an all-nighter to study for the two midterms I had the next day, and accidentally listened to the song on repeat for 6+ hours. (That one night automatically made “Lights Up” my most-listened-to song of 2019, according to Spotify.)

I genuinely use all of the methods that I mentioned above, and they have helped me study exponentially better. All together, they create my soundtrack to studying, and hopefully my tips can help you to create your own. 

Hannah Miller

Pepperdine '21

Senior Associate, Integrated Marketing (Activation) at Her Campus Media + former Campus Correspondent at the Her Campus Pepperdine Chapter!
Melissa Locke

Pepperdine '21

This is my senior year of college and I'm a Public Relations major with a Creative Writing outside concentration. I was born and raised in So-Cal and love it so much I couldn't go too far. As much as South California is my home, I adore traveling and learning about other cultures. A Disney fan to the core you can find me watching any of their movies, or breaking my bank account at Disneyland, and if not I'll probably be reading, writing, or enjoying the Malibu climate.