This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pepperdine chapter.

With classes and assignments, work and clubs, and the constant accessibility (and pressure) of being with friends, it can be easy to lose yourself in the whirlwind of college. This year I’ve tried to be more intentional about carving out time for myself, but that’s sometimes difficult when it takes just one conversation to add yet another event or class project to my Google Calendar. 

However, there’s one thing that has kept me sane so far this year, and in all my reading of “Self-Care for College Girls!” articles, I’ve yet to come across it. It seems a little goofy, but hear me out.

Eat meals.

salad and water
Oleg Mani

Now you might say you already do this. And that’s awesome if you do, but I see way too many college students scarfing down a granola bar on their way to class to believe that most of us are actually eating meals.

This isn’t about eating healthy or eating more than a granola bar. If some oats and chocolate chips is what you want for your meal, that’s fine. I’m talking about taking the time out of your day to sit down, put away your schoolwork, and sit down for a meal.

It can be with others or not, whatever suits your fancy, but it better be intentional and free from work, not “Oh, I need to schedule a meeting with that girl in my bio class, so we’ll just grab dinner and I’ll knock it out.”

My personal favorite is to wake up in the morning on a Saturday, make some scrambled eggs, toast, and a handful of blueberries, and sit down with my coffee and have a leisurely Saturday morning breakfast. I have yet to find anything that feels more comforting in college. And it doesn’t have to be breakfast. Run home between class and make a sandwich and eat lunch while you watch Netflix. Grab a pizza from the Caf and lounge on one of those couches in the corner while you read a book with greasy fingers. 

Sitting down and enjoying a meal feels rebellious in our busy, over-scheduled, constantly hustling society. When I sit down to eat, it’s like looking my professors in the eye and saying, “Yeah, I could be doing homework, but guess what? I’m more important right now. So I’m going to sip my coffee and watch Gilmore Girls while I eat toast, and I’ll deal with you later.”

And remember that if anyone asks why you aren’t making better use of your time and working on homework while you eat, just tell them it’s self-care. You can’t argue with that. 

TIP: I firmly believe that if you have a kitchen, making a meal, even if it seems like it will be a lot of work, feels so satisfying. And even if it’s a microwavable meal from Trader Joe’s, putting it on a plate will make it feel like the height of luxury. 

Cassidy Woodward

Pepperdine '21

Hi y'all! My name is Cassidy Woodward, and I'm a senior Integrated Marketing Communications major at Pepperdine University. I'm originally from Fort Worth, Texas but ventured out to the west coast for college. Some of my hobbies include consuming novels in fewer than 48 hours, making copious amounts of baked goods for friends, and combing Google Flights for cheap plane tickets to my next adventure! Follow me on Insta @cassidymw or Twitter @Cassidy_Michal
Melissa Locke

Pepperdine '21

This is my senior year of college and I'm a Public Relations major with a Creative Writing outside concentration. I was born and raised in So-Cal and love it so much I couldn't go too far. As much as South California is my home, I adore traveling and learning about other cultures. A Disney fan to the core you can find me watching any of their movies, or breaking my bank account at Disneyland, and if not I'll probably be reading, writing, or enjoying the Malibu climate.