This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pepperdine chapter.

I’m sure, by now, the circulating ‘Essena O’neill Quits Instagram’ media story that can be seen all over the internet has reached a computer screen near you. If it hasn’t, the digital discussion revolves around an Insta-famous teen and her struggles with insecurity and social approval, exacerbated by the use of social media platforms such as Instagram, YouTube, and Tumblr. Her argument, ‘social media is an illusion [and] not real life,’ introduces an insightful view of a corrupt society we might not even know we’re living in.

Essena stresses societal priorities of perfection, social approval, and constant comparison that she argues create, amongst herself and society at large, continual outward expressions of happiness but inward feelings of loneliness, anxiety, shame, fear, and insecurity. Her 500K+ following on Instagram, which she had before permanently deleting her account a few days ago, only increased her need to cultivate and perfect an image of herself that wasn’t authentic. Through ads with well-known brands and a gradual increase in fame and notoriety, Essena claims to have created an artificial reality of superficiality and self-absorption. Social media, she claims, is ‘ perfectly self-orchestrated judgement,’ and the place where she began to find value in an artificial projection of herself through the volume of likes, comments, and followers she received.  

Unfortunately, blunt, brave opinions don’t come without their fare share of criticism or commentary. Many digital celebs, including the YouTube and Instafamous, were quick to respond to surprising allegations. Kayla Itsines, Eva Gutowski, Alexis Ren, Lauren Giraldo, Arden Rose, and many more were quick to defend social media and its potential positive impact if used and practiced with healthy intentions. Because of their social media based careers, and consequential financial compensation, however, their credibility and possible biases are in constant question. Even worse, media outlets are targeting O’neill for her personal decision to leave social media and outright negative remarks regarding it, but fail to mention the positive influence she hopes to have through her website.  

Essena’s mission now, however, after deleting all of her social media accounts and making people aware of its dangers, is to shed light on the ‘game changers of the world’ and foster inspiration, positivity, and creativity through her website: letsbegamechangers.com. Her hope is to create a movement where people can live freely and unapologetically, without the unnecessary distraction of social media affecting the cultivation of an honest relationship with themselves and with others. She hopes to promote values of presence, health, love, self-expression, unity, and self-analysis on her site, and create a world of acceptance, love, and equality, rather than competition, insecurity, and misled self-worth.

So, should we quit social media? Well, I guess, that’s all up to you. Remember, moderation is key to anything done repetitively. My suggestion is to keep your head up and your eyes open because there’s nothing worse than experiencing the world with your head down and your heart closed. Our experiences are what make life worth living. It’s always better to be present for them, than try to perfect them on a screen. A picture may last forever, but a moment can be taken away in a split second. When you start to concern yourself more with how life feels, than how life looks, your life will truly be changed. Inspiration, self-development, creativity, inspiration, and feelings of pure happiness are feelings we should be experiencing everyday. Feelings of insecurity, suffocation, and constant pressure are not healthy and must be stopped. Your worth is not in numbers, but in exactly what you decide it to be. Each and every one of you reading this is worthy, beautiful, and enough. Never forget that.

Hello! I'm currently a Junior at Pepperdine. Making people smile is my favorite thing and I love anything fashion or beauty related. If you came here to laugh, you came to the right place.