Seven Staples Every Collegiette Should Own

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pepperdine chapter.

We all dream of having a closet like Jennifer Garner’s in 13 Going on 30, but unfortunately, with our dorms’ limited space and our wallets’ limited budget, this isn’t particularly feasible for most of us collegiettes. However, there are a few things we should all own to make our outfits stand out more. Perhaps some of you have heard of the “three-piece rule,” which has been mentioned in several fashion blogs. It is a wardrobe rule to go by to make outfits more interesting and is super easy to follow. All it says is that to up an outfit’s game, you should add a third piece to it. For instance, if you’re wearing jeans and a tee, add a scarf or cardigan. The third piece ties any outfit together and makes one look more fashionable immediately. In honor of that, here are a few items every collegiette should have in her closet for when she needs a third piece. 

1. Cardigan: As I mentioned above, a cardigan is all that is necessary to improve a basic tee and jeans outfit. It is cute, trendy, and super comfortable! It also helps that they are relatively easy to find in most clothing stores.

2. Pullover: This is a great thing to throw on over a button down for a cute and preppy look that can easily work for class, your internship, and hanging out with friends at the end of the day. It’s also a great way to stay warm during Malibu’s chilly nights.

3. Scarf: It’s fall! Celebrate it by wearing a scarf with your outfit! The best part about scarves is that they can work for practical reasons just as well as for fashion reasons. They will also change your look depending on how you wear them, so be creative next time you pull out your favorite one! 

4. Leather Jacket: Sure, this will probably be an investment, but leather jackets are always in style and will always make one look cool and collected. It’s the perfect thing to throw on for a day out with friends or even a date.

5. Jean Jacket: This is another one of those closet staples that every girl should have. These have their seasons when they are more trendy than at other times, but it is one of those fashion pieces that always comes back into style. It is certainly something that should have a home in your closet!

6. Blazer: If you don’t already have a favorite blazer, get one! If you already have one, buy one in another color! These not only make you look smart, put together, and professional, but they are the thing to wear for interviews, career fairs, and sometimes your job. You can never go wrong with a blazer!

7. Belt: This is a great accessory to change up the way a dress looks or to dress any outfit either up or down. It will add versatility to your wardrobe options.

Paola Ramos

Pepperdine

I'm a Pepperdine University senior from Texas. I'm a Leo, a total dog lover, and an avid reader. Spanish is my first language, so I am bilingual and working on being trilingual (I just need to turn my conversational French into fluent French). I love to write; it's a way of life!