This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pepperdine chapter.

King T’challa, the Black Panther, is not dead; Chadwick Boseman, the husband, father, son, and real human being is, and we need to remember that. 

Last night Boseman’s tragic passing was confirmed and as with every passing of a beloved celebrity his fans flocked to social media to share their condolences and what he meant to them, but some were focusing on issues, if they can even be called that, of far (far, far, far) lesser importance: the Black Panther. There were many like myself who first saw Boseman’s talent when he starred in the much anticipated Marvel’s Black Panther, but in a time of mourning no matter how much we loved a character, we must remember the actor as more than just his roles. Chadwick Boseman was kind, humble, and passionate.

It was confirmed after Boseman’s passing that he was surrounded by his wife and family. It was also revealed that Boseman had spent the last four years, since 2016, that he had been fighting colon cancer and despite undergoing several operations and chemotherapy, he still worked and you would never be able to tell. During his fight against cancer, he not only continued his work, but also visited children at St. Judes hospital bringing joy to their hospital rooms and a smile to their faces, and with hindsight, we can see how meaningful those trips must have been for him; being able to cheer up children in the same fight as you. 

This is a time to be kind to each other. Yes, the majority of fans posting about him never met him, but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t matter to them, and it certainly doesn’t make their grief any less real and valid. If there is anything to take away from this loss; it is that we never know what others are enduring and we should never forget that. 

Rest in Peace Chadwick. You are already missed.

Melissa Locke

Pepperdine '21

This is my senior year of college and I'm a Public Relations major with a Creative Writing outside concentration. I was born and raised in So-Cal and love it so much I couldn't go too far. As much as South California is my home, I adore traveling and learning about other cultures. A Disney fan to the core you can find me watching any of their movies, or breaking my bank account at Disneyland, and if not I'll probably be reading, writing, or enjoying the Malibu climate.