This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pepperdine chapter.

Last week we lost an amazing, groundbreaking, fighter of a woman. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg fought for women’s rights for a long time and what she did for us is more than we think. Rights that today’s women see as commonplace are rights we have because of her. 

While RBG may be most known for her stance on reproductive rights, no matter where you stand you need to thank her because without RBG we could/would not:  

• Open a bank account without a male family member’s permission 

• Sign a mortgage without a man 

• Be protected against workplace discrimination based on gender or reproductive plans 

• Be admitted into state-funded schools

• Apply for credit cards without a male cosigner

• Be on juries 

And even men benefited from her being a champion of equal rights. RBG insisted and won that male caregivers are entitled to the same rights as women caregivers. 

https://www.globalcitizen.org/en/content/gender-equality-laws-quotes-ruth-bader-ginsburg/

And if anyone has even seen the trailer for RBG’s biopic you know that she paved the way long before she was a Supreme Court Justice. 

• She was one of 9 women in her graduating Harvard Law class (there were 500 men)

• She was the 2nd women to be appointed a Supreme Court Justice 

• And the first to lie in state

Ruth Bader Ginsburg was a Supreme Court Justice, a lawyer, a champion of equal rights, a director of the Women’s Rights Project at the ACLU, she was a mother, a grandmother, a wife, a fighter, and an inspiration. 

RBG impacted more lives than she could ever know. Young children, no matter their race or gender, looked up to her. She has inspired so many people to follow in her path. I can only hope that somehow she knows now. 

Ruth Bader Ginsburg memorial
Photo by Ted Eytan distributed under a CC BY-SA 2.0 license

May Her Memory Be a Blessing.

Melissa Locke

Pepperdine '21

This is my senior year of college and I'm a Public Relations major with a Creative Writing outside concentration. I was born and raised in So-Cal and love it so much I couldn't go too far. As much as South California is my home, I adore traveling and learning about other cultures. A Disney fan to the core you can find me watching any of their movies, or breaking my bank account at Disneyland, and if not I'll probably be reading, writing, or enjoying the Malibu climate.