The Part of ‘deja vu’ You Might Have Missed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pepperdine chapter.

Olivia Rodrigo has done it again, folks. On April 1st, she dropped her second single, “deja vu,” and it is the long-lost sister of Taylor Swift’s “Cruel Summer” that I didn’t know I needed. Plus, as a female currently living in Malibu and in the middle of rewatching Glee, this song felt made for me. 

But that’s not the point of this article. Arguably my favorite part of the song is one that I’m noticing has gone undetected by many friends and internet users. Olivia sings in the second verse: 

And I bet that she knows Billy Joel

‘Cause you played her “Uptown Girl”

You’re singin’ it together

Now I bet you even tell her how you love her

In between the chorus and the verse

Then, right there, quite literally in between the chorus and the verse, Olivia whispers, “I love you.” 

Put on your headphones, turn up the volume, and skip to around 2:11 in the song or music video. It is such a subtle detail, but it makes all the difference. Once you notice it, you won’t be able to unhear it. 

Hannah Miller

Pepperdine '21

Senior Associate, Integrated Marketing (Activation) at Her Campus Media + former Campus Correspondent at the Her Campus Pepperdine Chapter!