This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pepperdine chapter.

Meeting your significant other’s parents can be overwhelming, way out of your comfort zone, and just flat out scary. No matter how many important people you have met, meeting parents is always a nerve-racking task. So, here are a few tips to make the experience flow a bit smoother.

man and woman holding hands
Photo by Thomas Ward from Pexels
BE YOURSELF. Do not (I repeat, DO NOT) be someone you are not. There is no better version of yourself than the real version. Everyone has flaws and insecurities, own yours! If their parents cannot accept you for who you are, that is their problem, not yours. If your significant other wants you to pretend like you’re someone you’re not, that is their problem, not yours. Just be you!

FIGURE OUT YOUR RED FLAGS. Ask your significant other what topics to stay away from to avoid any bumps. These topics could range anywhere from politics to “please don’t mention that tattoo I got on my back.” What you don’t want to do is make anyone feel disrespected or accidentally spill a secret your significant other has been elaborately hiding.

BE HONEST WITH YOUR PARTNER. Tell them that you are worried. Explain to them where that worry is coming from. Then, let them encourage you and help you not to worry so much. You are not alone!

BE CONFIDENT. You are good enough. More than enough. Meeting the parents is a big deal and your partner believes that you are ready for it and wants to show you off! Believe your significant other when they tell you they are excited for their parents to meet you!

You’ve got this! Now go wow those parents!

Emma Thomasson

Pepperdine '21

Hello! My name is Emma. I am a student at Pepperdine University and I am studying Philosophy with the hopes of obtaining my MFT license after I graduate in 2021. I was born in Houston, Texas, and raised in Waco, Texas. That being said, I am avid supporter of Baylor sports and TexMex! I believe mental health is the most important thing to maintain in college. Some ways that I maintain mine include (but are not limited to) boxing, Disney, and beach days with my friends out here in Malibu!
Melissa Locke

Pepperdine '21

This is my senior year of college and I'm a Public Relations major with a Creative Writing outside concentration. I was born and raised in So-Cal and love it so much I couldn't go too far. As much as South California is my home, I adore traveling and learning about other cultures. A Disney fan to the core you can find me watching any of their movies, or breaking my bank account at Disneyland, and if not I'll probably be reading, writing, or enjoying the Malibu climate.