This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pepperdine chapter.

Ladies, don’t you love those days when you wake up with the urge to actually try new things with your makeup? We are so excited to conquer the world with our awesome new look until we come across some guy who asks us why we are wearing so much makeup. We are all too familiar with this situation; we will tell him that we simply felt like it, and he will say that we don’t need to wear makeup for attention and that guys tend to like girls who wear less… Well, excuse me, sir, but did I ask for your opinion? NO! 

It makes no sense to me that this is still such a topic of conversation. One would think that people would have the common decency to respect your makeup choices and not frame them in terms of what they think you want to get from them. I mean, let’s be honest, most of us wear makeup for us, and not to impress anyone. Sure, there are times when certain occasions call for a certain style of makeup, but when we decide to either wear or not wear makeup in the morning, no one should question our intentions or criticize our decisions. Each time a guy inputs his opinion on your makeup without being asked, he is essentially stating that he has a right to influence the way you look when you walk out of the house. And that is simply not okay.

I’ve been contemplating more and more just how deeply rooted the gender issue is within our society, and the truth of the matter is that moments like these, small and trivial as they may seem, are extremely detrimental to the way women are perceived in society, and even to how we view our own worth. This is an issue too big to tackle on our own, but there is great power in changing the small things. Ladies, don’t ever let a guy force his opinions about your appearance on you. Make it known to him that he has absolutely no say in the way you choose to wear or not wear makeup. Not only that but also keep your eyes open for the little things that trigger gender inequality and perhaps, we can slowly start changing the antiquated societal norms that we have somehow learned to accept.  

Paola Ramos

Pepperdine

I'm a Pepperdine University senior from Texas. I'm a Leo, a total dog lover, and an avid reader. Spanish is my first language, so I am bilingual and working on being trilingual (I just need to turn my conversational French into fluent French). I love to write; it's a way of life!