This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pepperdine chapter.

Makeup is often seen as a form of self-expression. An individual can showcase their creativity and artistic ability using their face as their canvas. In the makeup world, nothing is off limits. In 2017 alone, makeup trends included strobing, metallic eyeshadows, wiggle or wavy brows, and the return of lip gloss. 2017 and 2018 have not only been the years for bold new trends in makeup, but also in redefining its purpose.

Photo by The Lipstick Lobby

In the past year, makeup has evolved into a tool that can be utilized to take a stand and protest, whether it be socially or politically. Makeup brands, such as The Lipstick Lobby and Beautiful Rights, have been created around social and political issues. These include political, economic, social, and gender equality. In their mission statement, The Lipstick Lobby calls themselves a “social justice movement for change, progress, and equality” that is a “simple way to protest and make a difference.” Beautiful Rights’ mission is similar, stating that beauty “inspires, empowers, and challenges that status quo.” The products made by these brands are all given clever names that align with their stances such as “Outrage,” “Gloss Ceiling,” “Neutral Party,” and “United Shade of America.” Campaigns such as “label yourself” and #LipstickItToTheMan have formed around these brands and their products.

Profits from the brands’ sales are typically donated to various organizations that align with their political or social missions. Beautiful Rights says that they donate twenty percent of all sales to support gender justice and women’s rights initiatives of their customers’ choice. They stress the reason they specifically donate twenty percent “to represent the fact that women in the U.S. overall continue to be paid 20% less than men for the same work.”

I personally find the concept of being able to protest or make a statement politically or socially using the makeup products you wear to be a wonderful tool. Makeup is something that is noticed immediately when you see someone and is talked about by many. You can use these products personally knowing that the money you spent went towards a cause you believe in rather than having your money go straight towards makeup.

While The Lipstick Lobby and Beautiful Rights are fairly new brands, their following is growing in the world of beauty. Because of brands like these, individuals can now express their creativity while making a social or political statement by the products they use. Makeup has become more than something to put on and enhance your features or express your artistic creativity; it has become political and social tool.

SaveSave

Brooke Zeall

Pepperdine '20

I'm a Film major in my senior year at Pepperdine University. I'm from a small town in Pennsylvania, but always dreamed of living in So-Cal. I'm a movie junkie and can usually be found at a movie theater on Friday or Saturday nights. I'm also into writing, photography, reading and makeup. I'm a huge Disney fan and can talk about their movies or theme parks for hours!