How To Stay In Touch With Long Distance Besties

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pepperdine chapter.

Chances are, you didn’t go to the same college as all of your best friends. Texting may be the easiest way to stay in touch with them, but sometimes it’s fun to switch things up. Next time, try these three things:

1. Snail Mail

Who doesn’t love opening their mailbox and seeing a letter inside? There’s just something special about knowing that someone was thinking about you and took the time to write to you. Try sending a letter to your friend as a nice surprise for her the next time she checks her mail. Pick out a cute card or stationary, or if you’re feeling artsy, design your own.

2. Set up a Time for FaceTime 

You probably already FaceTime with your long distance friends, but when things get busy you might let too much time go by in between. Compare schedules and pick out a day and time that’s convenient for both of you. Even if you can’t commit to it every week, talking every couple weeks will help you stay in touch and you’ll never be behind on what’s going on in each other’s lives.

3. Exchange Gear

If picking out the perfect birthday present isn’t your forte, you’re in luck. Try switching things up this year by suggesting a shirt swap. For her birthday, you’ll pick out a Pepperdine shirt from the bookstore to send to her. Then on your birthday, she’ll send you a shirt with her school’s logo. There’s no better way to show pride in your friend than representing her school.

Sometimes it’s hard not living close to your best friends from home, but you can find creative ways to make staying in touch fun. Texting may be the easiest way to communicate, but try thinking outside of the box.

Jenny Stephens is a junior at Pepperdine University majoring in journalism. If she's not in the newsroom, she's probably at mock trial practice or filming the sports games for work. In her spare time, she loves to cheer on her Chicago Cubs, play the electric guitar, and scrapbook.