This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pepperdine chapter.

If you’re looking at your DAR and realizing that you need elective credits, don’t panic! This is a great opportunity to take a class that you otherwise might not have normally taken. It might even end up being your favorite class for the semester. Consider taking one of these classes:

1. ART 210- Foundations in Painting

If you don’t get to let out your creative side as much as you like to, this may be the class for you. You’ll learn the basics of painting and get four units for it. Or if painting isn’t your art strength, check out the other art classes Pepperdine offers. They have everything from digital arts to sculpture.

2. FILM 111- Film and Culture

If Netflix is your favorite hobby, you might like this class. Instead of just watching movies for fun, you’ll learn more about them in depth and how they’re shaping our culture. If you decide to take this class, you’ll get two units. (And don’t forget to bring your popcorn!)

3. PE 157- Surfing

How many colleges can say they offer surfing as a class? Take advantage of Pepperdine being located in Malibu, and try out this one unit class. Getting off campus once a week to surf the Pacific Ocean is a great break. Just be sure to keep in mind that you have to find your own transportation, and there’s an additional fee for the class.

4. MUS 110- Piano Class I

If you want to learn a new talent, try taking this piano class. Playing an instrument is a nice way to relax and can take your mind off of school stress. Plus you’ll be able to show off your new skill in the Sandbar! Don’t worry if you don’t have any music experience; this two unit course is designed for beginners.

5. Whatever you’re interested in!

Maybe you considered another major when applying to Pepperdine but decided against it. Or maybe you wanted to minor in something but didn’t have the room in your schedule. Whatever the case may be, try taking a class on something that you’re passionate about. As long as you’re interested in it, the work you’ll need to put in will be worth it.

Jenny Stephens is a junior at Pepperdine University majoring in journalism. If she's not in the newsroom, she's probably at mock trial practice or filming the sports games for work. In her spare time, she loves to cheer on her Chicago Cubs, play the electric guitar, and scrapbook.