Campus Profile: The dynamic and accomplished Paula Marceline Ong

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pepperdine chapter.
Paula Marceline Ong is a Pepperdine Senior who has been active in Pepperdine’s Student Government Association, Greek life, and various campus clubs and organizations. In this interview, Paula reflects on her experiences at Pepperdine and her involvement and dedication to various campus activities.

Name: Paula Marceline Ong

Age: 22 years old

Year: Senior

Hometown: Bakersfield, CA

Major: Sociology; Ethnic Studies minor

What was your position in SGA?

“I was a Freshman class senator, Public relations chair and last year’s Executive Vice-President.”

How did you get involved with SGA?

“I actually remember stopping by at the SGA booth during Waves expo during my freshman year since I was interested in student government from my previous experiences in high school. Seaver College’s SGA  is different from high school because it’s very policy oriented, but I still thought it would be a good start to be involved in the Pepperdine community. I ran for a senator position then, and two years later still found myself within the organization.”

What is/was your favorite thing about SGA?

“The relationships that I developed through my time with SGA. I had the privilege of working as the bridge between students and staff, and getting to know some of the best people through that process. Even though I’m not involved in SGA anymore, those relationships still exist and it made me appreciate my time with SGA even more.”

What advice would you give someone who is thinking about getting involved with the SGA?

“If you see any aspect of student life that you want to change, join SGA and actively create that change. Being on SGA is both a commitment and a fulfilling experience, but if you have the passion, it doesn’t feel like work at all. It’s a great opportunity to give back to Pepperdine and leave your legacy as well. Find your drive, run a campaign and get elected, and enjoy the ride of being an advocate of change. Also, be realistic in terms of the improvements you want accomplish- a whole school year goes by faster than the rate of change on campus.”

What other activities are you involved in at Pepperdine?

“The remainder of my extracurricular time was spent between Greek life as a member of Delta Delta Delta sorority, and serving on the executive board of Pakikisama (Filipino club). I also enjoyed attending other club events and loved the effort everyone puts in their involvement on campus. I think Pepperdine has a “norm” of everyone being involved in so many clubs and leadership roles and I admire everyone who are able to balance that, but I also commend those who found one great community and made it their home. During the semester I wasn’t serving for SGA, I led a club convo and I really recommend that experience!”

Who inspires you the most?

“My parents are my biggest inspirations. I am thankful and continuously inspired by all their sacrifices and Christlike love.  Also, people’s stories and views on life inspire me and share a different perspective of the world. Sometimes it’s easy to forget in our “Malibu bubble” about the realities of life, so it was a humbling experience to hear stories from some of the people I work with in the Malibu Labor Exchange.”

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

“Wow five years sounds so far away, but with how fast undergrad went, I know it’ll be here before I know it! I hope that I’ll be doing something fulfilling, and happy in that calling. I also hope that I continuously grow and be a better version of myself five years from today.”

Ella Gonzalez is a Freshman at Pepperdine University studying Journalism (with a print & online emphasis). She enjoys reading, writing, feminism, and dreaming of the day when she can buy groceries at Whole Foods.