This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pepperdine chapter.

Anne Jackson is at the start of her term as Pepperdine’s Delta Gamma chapter president. She is a hard-working university student who is eager to excel in her new role. She has a great team of friends behind her in her sorority sisters, and she considers them a priority in her goals as sorority president. Anne shared quite a bit about herself in this email interview, so scroll down and get to know her a little more! 

Age: 21

Year: Junior

Hometown: Memphis, TN

Major: Communications – Public Relations

What is your sorority/title? I am the president of Delta Gamma, Pepperdine’s Eta Alpha Chapter.

What are your hobbies? I am a very active person. I like to be outdoors, but I am also a very big runner. You will always see me running along Pacific Coast Highway, in a pink hat!

What are you involved with on campus? In addition to Delta Gamma, I’m currently a member of Lambda Pi Eta, the national communication honor society, and I am employed as a Speech Lab Consultant in Pepperdine’s Speech Lab for COM 180 students. As a member of Delta Gamma, I’m also very involved in the philanthropic events that take place on Pepperdine’s campus, as well as partnering with the Athletic Department in creating “Greek Takeovers” at multiple sporting events on our campus. Creating a relationship between Greek Life and Pepperdine Athletics has been a major focus this year for my chapter and we hope to continue that. 

How has your time as DG president been so far? My time as DG president has been a growing experience thus far. I’ve learned a lot about myself, about my chapter management team, and about my chapter. As president, you’re involved in all levels of Delta Gamma, and as much as an honor that really is, I think you have to humble yourself and know that your main focus is what is best for your chapter as a whole and what is best for our sisterhood. The most rewarding part of it all is to see the relationships that manifest between our chapter members regardless of their year in school. We are currently celebrating the 20th anniversary of Delta Gamma’s Eta Alpha chapter on Pepperdine’s campus, so that has been such an honor to be a part of and to serve as the president during a time that is a significant milestone in Delta Gamma’s history on this campus. Organizing our 20th anniversary celebration with our alumnae has been one of our main focuses this semester, and for my senior year, I think our chapter management team would like to continue those relationships. We pride ourselves on sisterhood and creating a legacy within our chapter so when taking on the responsibilities of president, I along with my chapter management team, have a responsibility to create and foster our legacy here.   

Do you any other big plans for your senior year? With senior year so close, it is definitely a little daunting. This past year has gone by so quickly that I can’t even begin to image our senior year at Pepperdine. I’m ready for the transition to the next chapter of my life, but I think my big plan for senior year is just to enjoy the remainder of my time in school. The reality of my next adult adventure will most certainly set in very soon, but my focus next year will primarily be enjoying the relationships I have here, as well as continuing to lead my chapter until the end of my term next January.

What is your favorite thing about Pepperdine? A sense of community is definitely my favorite aspect of Pepperdine as a whole. I went to a smaller high school so a small community is what I am, for the most part, accustomed to. Pepperdine is the true embodiment of that community aspect. Being involved in Greek Life has also been rewarding. I’ve seen the Greek community fully come together in support of each other’s philanthropies. Additionally, Greek Life has played an active role in supporting the Pepperdine community. Pepperdine’s campus offers a unique aspect to the typical Greek Life. All Greek groups on campus work together and unite in all aspects, whether that is through community service, philanthropies, or simply showing our Pepperdine pride. I believe that we really stress participating in Step Forward Day, initiating the Greek Takeovers, and organizing our philanthropies to include not only Greek Life but the rest of the student body, as well. Each Greek chapter counts on one another and unites to support a cause or a philanthropic organization because that is our main objective. Again, I believe Pepperdine’s small community definitely contributes to the friendly and unified nature of all Greek organizations on our campus, as well as our undergraduate community as well. 

What do you hope to be doing in five years? Ideally, I’d love to stay in the LA area working at a public relations agency in the entertainment industry. While those are definitely my aspirations and they are attainable, I’m also very flexible to any other opportunities that come my way. I am a planner when it comes to my life, but I have learned to value the curveballs in life.   

Paola Ramos

Pepperdine

I'm a Pepperdine University senior from Texas. I'm a Leo, a total dog lover, and an avid reader. Spanish is my first language, so I am bilingual and working on being trilingual (I just need to turn my conversational French into fluent French). I love to write; it's a way of life!