Campus Celebrity: The Individualistic Fraternity President, Jonathan McClelland

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pepperdine chapter.

Fraternity president, Jesus lover, Chinese speaker, and country music singer; all of these apply to none other than Jonathan McClelland. From Nashville, Jonathan has made an impact at Pepperdine through Campus Ministry and his fraternity, Sigma Phi Epsilon. You can spot him across the cafeteria with his bright red hair, or in the 3rd floor of the CCB. With Jonathan starting his graduate courses next year with Pepperdine’s 5 year MBA program, here are a few things you can learn about Jonathan such as his passion to serve and interests before he moves on into his future.

Majors: International Business with Asian Studies Minor

Hometown: Nashville, Tennessee

Relationship Status: TBD… In the process of DTR

Favorite quote: John 15:13: “No greater love is there than this than the one that would lay down his life for his brothers.” 

How did you become Sigma Phi Epsilon president? Did you always want to be president? 

“I initially wanted to be Chaplin and I served on standards board before I became president. I never thought of becoming president, but many of the older brothers asked me to lead the fraternity and step up as president. In the end, I was happy to run as president and I wanted to serve others.” 

What advice would you give a student who is thinking about rushing a fraternity?

“It is completely okay not to be Greek. Also, don’t put a face on during rush. People want to see who you are, not what you make yourself to be.”

What are some of the challenges you face as president? 

“Sometimes it is hard to get people motivated and it is also hard to work with administration at times. Overall, I haven’t dealt with many problems. I have a very supportive executive board so many times, I just have to delegate and make sure that events are done.” 

What is your favorite part about Sigma Phi Epsilon? 

“I like how I can be in communion with people who are opposite of me. Sigma Phi Epsilon prides itself in diversity and I have learned how to be tolerant of other people. It teaches how to truly love another person. I also love seeing people empowered and I enjoy supporting people and ideas of what they want to do. Everyone has something to offer and it is a shame to ignore a person and their opinions. I strive to let people step up and lead in ways that they use their strength. I want to support people in what they are good at, inspire them, and see them grow and become better people.” 

What is the most impactful part of your college experience? 

“Studying abroad in Shanghai and being a brother in Sigma Phi Epsilon are the most impactful experiences of college.” 

What do you think has changed the most about yourself throughout college? 

“I have developed leadership skills through becoming a Residential Advisor when I studied abroad in Shanghai. I was highly involved in the house and I loved being with a group of people who are encouraging. It also raised my self confidence and I found a home and a community that I loved there.” 

What is your dream? Who and what do you want to be? Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

“I hope to see myself live and work in China as a environmental or contract law lawyer. Currently, I am in the 5 year MBA program. After I receive my MBA degree, I want to work in China, then go to law school and receive a JD, then go back to China to work.” 

What were you for Halloween?

“I was gonna be a homeless bum in a robe.”

What is your guilty pleasure?

“I love a nice glass of scotch and a cuban cigar.”

What song describes you best?

“Dirt Road Anthem by Jason Aldene is a song that describes me the most. It reminds me of home.” 

What’s one thing people don’t know about you?

“I am 1/8 Japanese, Scottish, German, English, and Danish.” 

What is your favorite food? 

“I love a nice bowl of ramen.”

What else are you involved on in school? 

“I am the Captain of Club Ultimate (frisbee), the Vice President of LINK (Liberty in North Korea), leader of a house group, and I work in the law school library.” 

You are a very busy person. How do you manage your time?

“I do most of my homework when I am at work, and I work about 12 hours a week. I have a busy schedule and plan my days out, but it’s pretty flexible.” 

Who is the person that has inspired you the most?

“My mom inspires me the most because she is encouraging, uplifting, and Christ centered.” 

What do you miss the most about your home?

“I miss the food. Friend chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, biscuits and gravy; great homemade southern food.” 

Michelle Lu

Pepperdine

Hi, I'm Michelle and I'm currently a Junior at Pepperdine University studying business with a minor in Marketing. I love finding new places to eat, shop, and beach runs with friends. Hope you enjoy my articles! xoxo