Campus Celebrity: Former Model Dayanne Gonzalez

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pepperdine chapter.

Dayanne Gonzalez, former model and pageant girl, may be known for her exuberant personality and well-rounded persona, but few know where it actually originated. The IMC major, Spanish minor, has walked the runway for SavvyChic twice, won several pageant awards, and modeled for numerous boutiques. Now, after studying abroad in Madrid and London, Dayanne is a junior and HerCampus’ very own marketing intern.

What are you currently involved in on campus?

“I am currently a student worker at the Office of Financial Assistance, as well as a Spanish Research Assistant for Professor Lila Carlsen. I am also a member of Sigma Delta Pi and a new member of Kappa Kappa Gamma.”

What advice do you have to those who are interested in modeling or any other entertainment field?

“To always be yourself. You can fake it until you make it, but that will only cause unhappiness, and eventually, hatred for your job. You also have to have thick skin and not let little comments get to you because the entertainment industry is extremely competitive and people will tear you down if you let them. If you are confident in yourself and in your abilities, then nothing that anybody says should bring you down.“

What caused you to pursue pageants and modeling?

“By the time I entered high school, I had realized that sports just weren’t for me. I had given soccer, basketball, and volleyball a try, but the ball somehow always made its way to my head. Because I wasn’t involved in sports or any visible musical/artistic talent, I decided that I had to do something with my life besides academics. Modeling presented itself to me my freshman year of high school and that eventually led me to pageants, which kept me very involved.”

What’s your advice on confidence?

“You have to love yourself before anyone else can. If you personally believe in yourself, then that will reflect and lead others to believe in you as well. You can’t expect someone to think you are confidently delivering that COM 180 speech if you don’t think you are confidently delivering it.”

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

“I see myself working in the PR/marketing departments of a major television chain. It would definitely be in the Hispanic industry, so maybe a company like Telemundo or Univision, and it could be anywhere from LA to New York to possibly even back in Spain. I feel like I answered this question more like ‘where do you wish/pray to see yourself in 5 years,’ but hopefully it can be a reality.” 

Hello! I'm currently a Junior at Pepperdine. Making people smile is my favorite thing and I love anything fashion or beauty related. If you came here to laugh, you came to the right place.