Beat the Post-Break Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pepperdine chapter.

It’s officially the home stretch. You’re back from Cabo (or at least that’s where everyone else went) and you face the truth. These next two months there’s no break, not even a three day weekend. The even scarier realization might be that after these two months, you’ll no longer be whatever year you are now (which probably creates some panic for the rising seniors). But even though the last part of this semester will fly by, it’s important to remember what still needs to be done:

1. Figure out your summer plans

Your friends at other schools may laugh that you’re already figuring out your summer plans, but that’s life when your school gets out in April! Now is the time to decide how you want to spend your summer. Study abroad? Take summer classes? Find an internship? Get a job? There are plenty of options out there, but a lot of these options require time. You may have to complete an application, get a letter of recommendation, or go to an interview. The sooner you start the process, the sooner you’ll have your plans figured out!

2. Get ready for next semester

The fall is going to be here before you know it but things won’t “fall” into place by themselves! That’s right, everyone’s favorite time is coming up. It’s almost time to pick classes and housing for next semester. If you haven’t started thinking about them, now is the time. Meet with your advisor so you know what you need to take to be on track for graduation. And make sure you start figuring out who you’ll room with next semester, you’ll want to figure that out before everyone else links up!

3. Keep your motivation up (But don’t stress out!)

It’s always tempting at this time of the year to hit the beach more than you hit the books, but keep your motivation up! It’s not easy, but your grades will thank you later. It’s especially important because there aren’t any breaks to fall back on if you procrastinate. If you’re having a hard time finding motivation, create an incentive for yourself. For example, a lot of Pepperdine scholarships and study abroad guidelines require that you maintain a certain GPA, so if you need money (who doesn’t) or are planning on going abroad, there’s an incentive for you!

Photo via: http://studentroomslondon.com

Jenny Stephens is a junior at Pepperdine University majoring in journalism. If she's not in the newsroom, she's probably at mock trial practice or filming the sports games for work. In her spare time, she loves to cheer on her Chicago Cubs, play the electric guitar, and scrapbook.