5 Things To Do When Your Friends Aren’t On Summer Yet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pepperdine chapter.

Summer is almost here, but not for everyone. Some colleges get out later and others, way later, so it’s just a little bit longer until you’ll be reunited with all your friends. In the meantime, here are 5 things you can do to occupy your time. 

Photo by Bruce Mars on Pexels

Unpack 

Sure you may have unloaded your car already, but have you unpacked everything. If you’re like me, unpacking is the chore you put off for as long as you can. Why put it off until all your friends are back and you want to hang out with them? Get it over with now so you don’t have all those boxes looming over your head when you’re wanting to have a good time. 

Declutter

Unless you’ve been living a minimalist lifestyle for a while, you have clutter. We all have clutter and a little is ok, but there is probably some stuff in your room that you really don’t need and don’t have a sentimental connection to that you can get rid of, sell, or donate. 

Take a Class 

Whether it’s for college credit or just for fun take a short class. You can do an academic one and get something out of the way, or an art class and see if you have a hidden talent. Do something to keep yourself occupied. Try to avoid the summer burn out, aka forgetting to eat or go outside because you’ve been flipping between sleep and binging TV

Plan Trips 

There are some people that can whip together a plan in a couple hours before they head out. Most of us are not these rare super-efficient people, so to make the most of your summer start planning now, so that when your friends get back it’s all planned out and you can hit the road. 

Take Time to Reflect 

You just finished a year of school; whether it was the last, or the first, or one in between, it doesn’t matter. You survived a hectic year filled with moments and memories, and probably not all of them were fantastic. You pushed through papers, exams, essays, late nights, and early mornings. You deserve a minute (or a couple months) of not having to stress about what’s coming next. So take a breath, and relax, you earned it. 

Melissa Locke

Pepperdine '21

This is my senior year of college and I'm a Public Relations major with a Creative Writing outside concentration. I was born and raised in So-Cal and love it so much I couldn't go too far. As much as South California is my home, I adore traveling and learning about other cultures. A Disney fan to the core you can find me watching any of their movies, or breaking my bank account at Disneyland, and if not I'll probably be reading, writing, or enjoying the Malibu climate.