This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pepperdine chapter.

Many traditional fall events such as trick-or-treating and large-scale family gatherings are limited by COVID-19 and social distancing measures this year. There are still, however, a number of creative ways to enjoy the season at home with family and friends. Here are three of them:

1. Pumpkin art

There are endless ways to decorate a pumpkin using anything from carving tools to basic items found around the house. Jack-o-lanterns are an iconic symbol of Halloween and a fun activity with family, friends, or a date. Just order some carving tools, pick up a pumpkin, and blast some tunes for a fun evening. Either follow a picture or come up with your own spooky design. Last week I carved a pumpkin for the first time and was surprised by how easy and fun it was.

Avoid a quickly rotting pumpkin by artfully painting one or crafting designs with a Sharpie. Painted pumpkins can be themed around Halloween or just fall in general, making this option more versatile for the whole season. My family and I had a successful “Pumpkin Painting” event the other week – I recommend golds and oranges for pumpkins that can translate from Halloween to autumn-themed. Even my skeptical cousin ended up really enjoying our evening.

2. Craft a wreath

Although it may sound intimidating, designing a wreath from scratch is as easy as ordering a glue gun, wreath base, and pack of multicolored fake leaves from Amazon. The resulting masterpieces can decorate your home or apartment this year and in future years, and any leftover leaves can be used to make a reusable garland to decorate the mantle or wall. Halloween themed option: all you need is some candy to cover the wreath base in treats. 

Growing up, my mom and I would make wreaths for every season, many of which still decorate our home every year. Fun alternatives we used in place of leaves were flowers colored according to the holiday or season, as well as assorted ribbons. You can use either a metal wreath base or a styrofoam one, depending on how heavy the materials you decide to use are.

3. Whip up Halloween-themed treats

This can be as simple as baking some yummy sugar cookies and decorating them with black-orange-and-purple frosting and sprinkles. Alternatively, more ambitious projects like edible eerie fingers, pumpkin pie pop tarts, or a pizza mummy can be fun and tasty, especially if they’re tackled with a group of friends and family.

My aunt and I have been baking together since the beginning of quarantine: it’s a great way to spend some time together that culminates in a delicious snack (and, typically, a little bit of overindulging). We also share the treats with the rest of our family, something all of them have appreciated throughout quarantine – who doesn’t love a tasty dessert, after all? My all-time favorite: either my aunt’s chocolate chip cookies or homemade pumpkin pie recipe.

Natalie Hardt

Pepperdine '21

Hi! My name is Natalie and I'm a senior at Pepperdine studying Integrated Marketing Communications and Art. Some of my favorite activities are painting, board games, beach days, and exploring new places with friends and family!
Melissa Locke

Pepperdine '21

This is my senior year of college and I'm a Public Relations major with a Creative Writing outside concentration. I was born and raised in So-Cal and love it so much I couldn't go too far. As much as South California is my home, I adore traveling and learning about other cultures. A Disney fan to the core you can find me watching any of their movies, or breaking my bank account at Disneyland, and if not I'll probably be reading, writing, or enjoying the Malibu climate.