Life > Experiences

Yoda Best- Valentine’s Ideas for You and Your Besties

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

It’s, of course, that time of the year again. I don’t have a distaste for Valentine’s Day specifically, just that it’s so heliocentric to couples. We get it, you’re in a happy and loving relationship unlike some of us, but why does every card and box of candy have to feel so romantic and sensual. Like some people, I am not in a relationship, so Valentine’s Day is for me and my friends. Here’s a fun and funky list of things you could do to celebrate your friendship on Valentine’s Day. (Note: Not all of these ideas are practical for everyone during the current COVID-19 pandemic, so please keep not only that in mind but also the fact that many places may not be open for Valentine’s Day this year. If something on this list interests you, be sure to double-check all of your information before you make concrete plans).

Go out to dinner!

If you’re currently in New York like me, you’ll be able to make reservations for indoor dining right now. Many places have special deals on V-Day, so why not head out on the town and grab a bite to eat. (While staying safe and following all COVID guidelines.)

Go to a museum!

I’m sure this one caught you off guard. A museum? What has that got to do with Valentine’s Day? Well, if you’re a nerd for artifacts and art like I am, a trip to a museum with like-minded friends could be a great way to start  your week! Make plans to cover certain spots together or cover each part of the museum on your own and set a time to reconvene and nerd out over things you saw. You could even make a game out of it, everyone trying to find the most Valentine’s Day-esque piece in the museum. 

Make goofy valentines together!

This one is one of my personal favorites. Get inspiration from places like Pinterest and Google if need be and just go ham on a funny valentine for someone. Puns are some of the easiest ways to convey you care about someone without it getting too serious, perfectly platonic if you will. Here are some of my favorite Valentine’s Day puns: “You’re A-maize-ing”, “Aloe you Vera much”, “Yoda best”, “You’re the Obi-WAN for me”, “Jawa-na be mine”, “I think you’re BB-gr8”. You could even take it one step further and write each other funny “roses are red, violets are blue” poems like; Roses are red, Violets are blue, If you were the force then I’d be with you.

Just sit and talk!

Sometimes, the best way to spend time with people that you care about is to just sit and talk with them. Conversations are always a great way of having a good time, especially if you talk about common interests or funny things that have happened recently. This idea is better for friends who don’t get to see or talk to each other all that often. Great way to catch up and make the day feel extra special. 

All of these ideas can be changed and manipulated into however you need them to be to work with your group. Personally, I will be taking part in at least two of these activities this year and I hope they make this Valentine’s Day a little bit easier to handle. Just remember to stay safe and have fun with it!

Christina Guy is Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Pace! She oversees the running of the chapter, all of its inner workings, hosts meetings, and more. She also consistently writes articles for Her Campus at Pace and has for 3 years now. Outside of Her Campus, Christina works in childcare as a summer camp counselor and a seasonal lead teacher. She is a History major and has a minor in Sociology/Anthropology. She is a First Year Experience peer leader and an education TA. Christina has submitted personal pieces to several small literary magazines since high school and continues to do so. Christina hopes to become a museum curator one day or work within museum education. On her own, Christina loves to write fiction, listen to music, and read. She is also a huge Star Wars fan and often writes articles pertaining to the subject. Christina is also a co-host of her own on-campus radio show called Sunday Scaries. Christina is also an expert in all things history and 5 Seconds of Summer. Two very different subject areas, but she is proficient in each nonetheless! She is also very passionate about 70s aesthetic and fashion and hopes to be able to completely embody the full 70s look one day.