Would You Still Love Me If I Were a Worm?: The Top 5 Celebrity Halloween Costumes of 2022

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

Let’s talk about Hollywood Halloween 2022. This Halloween, the spooky (and kooky) celebrity costumes were unmatched, as we saw ensembles ranging from Lizzo as Miss Piggy to Heidi Klum as a worm. Yes, you read it right… a worm. This year we were given some of the most iconic costumes of the past five years. 

Hollywood Halloween is one big celebrity costume contest where everyone tries to look the best, the scariest, use the most special-effects make-up, or have the funniest costume. This year, celebrities went all out, getting full body make-up, hair, and even special effect prosthetics for the Halloween publicity affair.

Coming in fifth place is Cardi B as Marge Simpson. Cardi B took to Instagram on Halloween to reveal her Marge costume from the hit television show The Simpsons. She took this goofy 90s housewife character and made it her style by adding sex appeal, using red platform stiletto heels instead of the original red flats and a lime green corset top instead of the original slip dress. Fans applauded Cardi B’s dedication and creativity for this costume.

In fourth place is Winnie Harlow as both Michael Jackson and Queen Nefertiti from the iconic Michael Jackson Remember the Time music video. Harlow made a Tiktok reenacting one of the music video’s scenes. This was a new and innovative costume idea that many media influencers enjoyed.

Third place goes to Lizzo as Miss Piggy. She stunned viewers as she installed a long blonde wig with pig ears and used facial prosthetics to create a pig snout. She claims her Halloween costume was a “tribute” to her “forever icon.” Lizzo describes Miss Piggy as “the epitome of grace, style, and confidence and a warrior of love.”

In second place is Beyonce and the Carters as The Proud Family. This is the family costume we’ve all been waiting for since the announcement of Beyonce’s twins in February 2017. This iconic Carter family Halloween costume almost perfectly resembles The Proud Family from the 2000s hit tv show. Fun fact, Destiny’s Child and Solange performed The Proud Family Theme Song in 2001. For all of the 2000s Disney Channel fans, this is highly nostalgic. Beyonce posted a picture of her family to Instagram, where she dressed as both Suga Mama and Trudy Proud. Her husband, Jay-Z, was Oscar Proud, her oldest daughter, Blue Ivy Carter, was Penny Proud, and her twins, Sir and Rumi Carter were Bebe and Cece. This Halloween post went viral, revealing a rare picture of Beyonce’s three children. 

Lastly, in first place is Heidi Klum as a worm. Supermodel and reality TV star, Heidi Klum, became the most talked-about celebrity on Halloween because of her hyperrealistic “rain worm” ensemble that she wore to her 21st annual New York City Halloween bash. The costume simultaneously raised confusion and amusement, as it was both inventive and strange to see a supermodel walking on a red carpet as a worm. The worm’s body was made of foam, spandex, and plastic tubes, only revealing her eyes and mouth. Some regarded it as a masterpiece, and others saw it as a publicity stunt for Klum at her 2022 bash. Either way, it has become one of the most iconic costumes in Hollywood Halloween history and has raised the stakes for all future costumes.

It’s easy to say that this was a highly enjoyable, eventful, and outgoing year for celebrity Halloween costumes. Now we must get ready for the celebrity Christmas publicity season. 

Honorable mentions: Harry Styles as Danny Zuko from Grease, Olivia Rodrigo as Betty Boop, Lil Nas X as Ice Spice, Zack & Cody, and Dark Danny Phantom, Jennifer Garner as “Late for the Bus Mom,” Madelaine Petsch, Lili Reinhart, and Camile Mendes from Riverdale as the Sanderson Sisters, Halle Bailey as Neytiri from Avatar, Kim Kardashian as Mystique, Shawn Mendes as Indiana Jones, Kerry Washington as Lionel Richie, Kylie Jenner as the Bride of Frankenstein, Elvira, and an Alien, Keke Palmer as Rapunzel, JoJo Siwa as Draco Malfoy, Latto as the Corpse Bride, Trisha Paytas Hacmon and Moses Hacmon as Elvis and Priscilla Presley, Bella Thorne as Kim Possible, and Kendall Jenner as a Cucumber and Jessie from Toy Story.

Tamara (Tammy) Frieson is a sophomore chapter member at the Her Campus at Pace chapter at Pace University. She is an English Language and Literature major with a concentration in Literature, Culture, and Media, and she also has a double minor in Critical Race and Ethnicity Studies and Journalism and Digital Storytelling. Her writing focuses on fashion, art, beauty, and culture. Beyond Her Campus, Tamara works as a staff writer for the university’s newspaper, The Pace Press, where she writes many student engagement articles covering topics ranging from on-campus events to city-wide art exhibitions. Outside of journalism, she also writes poetry and is the Founder and CEO of her clothing company, Business Ascension Apparel. In her free time, Tammy enjoys taking dance and yoga classes; you will find her reading, journaling, or painting. She’s a skincare enthusiast and chronic bibliophile who loves implementing diversity, equity, and inclusion.