This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

In my daily schedule, I spend a lot of time commuting between each of my destinations. Although I enjoy listening to my favorite songs because they get me motivated and inspired I also enjoy listening to podcasts. Podcasts encourage me to think about interesting concepts that get me motivated. They also keep me engaged and focused on any task ahead.

I started listening to podcasts when I found myself bored. I would constantly repeat the same music on an endless cycle. If you watch vlog-style videos on YouTube, you might be familiar with David Dobrik. At the time, he just announced his new podcast Views hosted by David Dobrik and Jason Nash. I had never listened to a podcast before, but after the first episode, I was instantly hooked. I could listen to a conversation between two people and laugh alongside them. This sounds like a lonely affair, but I can assure you, it’s not.

Podcasts come in endless varieties of topics ranging from Harry Potter to the daily news. Finding your favorites can take a dedicated amount of time but it one hundred percent worth it in the end. Personally, I listen to all of my podcasts on Spotify but I know most streaming services also provide them. To get you started, I’m going to recommend a few of my favorites in a variety of genres.  

Guys We F****d

This podcast is hosted by two hilarious, opinionated women; Corinne Fisher and Krystyna Hutchinson. They create conversation around topics that might seem uncomfortable but are very important to talk about.  It might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but I highly recommend listening to one, full episode. Not only are the guests on the show always extremely interesting but the conversations are about social issues and simple, everyday problems are stimulating.

Views

I briefly talked about this before, but I couldn’t leave this one out. This is a perfect, introductory podcast for anyone new to podcasts. David Dobrik and Jason Nash tell stories about their lives, give insight to what actually goes on behind the weekly vlogs, and often have discussions about fascinating topics. Honestly, you never really know what to expect when it comes to this podcast but it never fails to be entertaining.

How I Built This with Guy Raz

This is an NPR business podcast hosted by Guy Raz. Guy interviews entrepreneurs who created some of the biggest companies like SoulCycle, Steve Madden, and Five Guys. He moderates by asking questions, opening the story of how they built their companies and the mountains they climbed to get there. This podcast is extremely inspiring and very entertaining.

The Daily by The New York Times

This podcast is posted daily, with short 30-minute episodes informing the audience of some of the biggest news stories. This is the podcast I like to listen to while walking to and from my internship. Even though my commute is short, I can fill the time by informing myself about important events happening around the world.

So Many More…

These final additions are podcasts that I have just begun listening to but have been recommended by listeners online or have found their way to the top of the charts. I decided to include them despite the fact that I have only listened to a few episodes.

By listening to podcasts, I think I am constantly utilizing my time. Hopefully, this has inspired you to try it out and do the same!

My name is Kylie Geatz. While I work towards a career in the music industry, I enjoy my time spent living in NYC exploring, drinking too much coffee, and attending different events/concerts. Feel free to reach out and comment on any of my articles on any of my social media accounts (@altkylie)!