Why Going Places Alone is Good for You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

I used to hate being alone in public, but now it is one of my favorite things and can be great for your mental health. When I go places by myself I feel like I am able to enjoy the activity more and really take in the experience. Here are 4 reasons why you should go to events and places alone. 

You learn more about where you live

When I moved to New York City, I had no clue how to ride the subway, but going places alone enabled me to learn my new city and explore places I normally wouldn’t have gone. City Hall Park is one of my favorite places to go and read, which I never would have learned if I simply walked through it to go to the store with friends. 

You never miss out on things you love

Why wait for someone else to make your life fun and exciting, it’s time to make your own happiness. Some of my favorite days this past year have been when I’ve gone to the Metro0politan Museum of Art to see an exhibit nobody wanted to go to, or when I went to Z100’s Jingle Ball alone to see my girl Taylor Swift. Not every one of your friends is going to be interested in the same things as you or want to spend money on events with you, so why not do it alone? I would’ve hated to sit at home as some of the best events of the semester passed me by! 

Life doesn’t pass you by 

Why waste your life waiting around for your needs to be fulfilled, you can make your life the best life possible all by yourself. Spend the day at that coffee shop, or take a walk in your own neighborhood. There are so many college students who simply spend their weekends sitting in their dorms because everyone is working or busy. It’s time to get out there and have fun with your life. 

You learn how to keep yourself safe

When I first told my parents I was spending time throughout New York City by myself they were shocked. But, I have become so much more self-aware and always know what I need to do to keep myself self. When On the subway or walking in the street I never wear both headphones so I can be aware of my surroundings. When it’s late at night I always make sure I have my pepper spray handy. You learn tips to make sure you can rely on yourself for your own safety. 

It can be really scary at first doing anything alone, even taking a trip to the dining hall can be nerve-wracking, but ever since I began going places and attending events alone I have been so much happier with my life. Trust me, you won’t regret doing things you love, you may even enjoy them more!

Emily serves as Associate of Campus Community & Marketing here at Her Campus. She graduated from Pace University in 2020 with a degree in Communications. Emily served as a Campus Correspondent at Pace University, was a former intern for Her Campus' InfluenceHer Collective and was a part of Campus Trendsetters. In her spare time you can find her crafting, going to art museums and listening to Taylor Swift.