This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

It’s finally April, which means Autism Acceptance Month has just begun. Although every month is important in the growth of autism and disability acceptance, this month especially should be dedicated to the uprise of autistic voices and positive change amid their impact.

When I was diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder, or ASD, in the summer of 2021, I quickly learned how deprived the autistic community is in the discussion of our own disorder. Autism Speaks is often the prime resource for ASD education, however, I (and many members of the autism community) argue that this organization does far more harm than good. 

The organization’s main research point is in finding a cure for ASD, rather than encouraging accessibility and resources for autistic individuals. In fact, the first line of their mission statement is, “Autism Speaks is dedicated to promoting solutions.” Solutions, in this context, refers to solving autism. 

In order to attain public support, Autism Speaks tends to define ASD as a scary condition that should be avoided at all costs. The organization created a fundraising commercial entitled “I Am Autism” that strove to spread fear surrounding ASDS. Below are just a few quotes from the video:

“[Autism] will make it virtually impossible for your family to easily attend a temple, a birthday party, a public park without a struggle, without embarrassment, without pain.”

“If you are happily married, [autism] will make sure that your marriage fails.”

“Your money will fall into [autism’s] hands, and [autism] will bankrupt you for [its] own self-gain.”

Autism Speaks claims to be combatting the stigma surrounding ASD, but by creating a layer of fear surrounding the disorder, they are just further adding to the stigma autistic people face each and every day. How am I supposed to feel supported when Autism Speaks directly advertises my neurodivergency as an “embarrassment”?

As an autistic woman, I, of course, face difficulties. But more often than not, I love being autistic. My neurodivergent brain is creative and smart and amazing. I wouldn’t trade it for anything. So, when organizations like Autism Speaks say otherwise, it’s outright offensive. Especially considering Autism Speaks is run almost entirely by neurotypical (non-autistic) people. 

As of 2021, only one member on their board of thirty individuals has ASD. Most of the board members are simply representatives from large corporations such as AMC Networks, Mastercard, and S.C. Johnson. This Board of Directors has a massive say in how the autistic community is perceived worldwide, yet only one member is truly impacted by this. The rest simply maintain their board status for their yearly paycheck of hundreds of thousands of dollars. (In comparison, less than one percent of their budget goes towards supporting autistic individuals and their families.)
So, what can we do to fix this? Frankly, the solution is easy: reject Autism Speaks. Avoid their biased research and their phobia of ASD. Instead, consider supporting the Autistic Self Advocacy Network and individuals that are a part of the #ActuallyAutisic community. These resources focus on centering autistic people in the conversation of ASD and help to suppress the stigma surrounding the disorder.

Lucie is currently a freshman majoring in Film & Screen Studies at Pace University in New York City. She was formerly Editor-in-Chief of The Uproar (2020-21), an award-winning online publication based in Pittsburgh, PA.