Where to Hang Out in New York City Based on Your Hogwarts House

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

Do you ever find yourself wondering what to do in New York City? Want to go everywhere but just don’t have the time, or can’t decide? Consider looking to Hogwarts house: are you a Gryffindor, Slytherin, Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff? They will be your guide to New York City!

Gryffindor:

For varying levels of rock climbing walls for beginners to professional climbers.

Day pass is $32. Open most days 7am till midnight.

• Manhattan Kayak Company has different dozens of different tours on the water for beginners and professional kayakers if you’re looking to see the city from a different view.

Prices of tours range from $40-150

• If you’re looking for a more eerie encounter, there’s the North Brother Island in the Bronx that was the site of a large steamboat crash where over 1,000 people died and it was the Riverside Hospital in the 1800’s where patients with dozens of infectious diseases including Typhoid Mary lived and died. To get into the island you actually have to apply on their website to be allowed inside.

• Horseback Riding in Central Park is available year-round during park hours if you want to see the park at a different level. This activity is $149 per person per hour though.

• The Hudson River Park’s Pier 62 Skatepark is FREE and is 15,000 sq. ft.

• Bryant Park Ice-skating Rink in Winter Village has free admission but you do have to pay $20  to rent skates if you don’t have them. The lines can be long, but it’s a beautiful visit during the winter. It is open from October 27, 2018- January 2, 2019 everyday 8am-10pm.

• The Central Park Ice-skating Wollman Rink has a stunning view of the city. The prices are Monday- Thursday $12 per adult and Friday- Sunday $19 per adult. The Rentals cost $9 per skates.

• The High Line is FREE and has gorgeous views of the city to walk through if you’re looking for a more calm adventure.

Ravenclaw:

• The miles of bookshelves within the Strand Bookstore will make your jaw drop. It has over 2.5 million books for you to pursue buying.

Any Ravenclaw would want to attend a museum. Here are some that Some museums are typically free certain days for example:

• The MoMA Ps1 is always free for New York residents

• The Morgan Library and Museum is free Fridays 7PM-9PM

• The New York Aquarium is free Fridays 3PM to close

• The Guggenheim Museum is free Saturdays 5:45PM-7:45PM

The Stephen A. Schwarzman Building of the New York Public Library is a necessary experience for any bibliophilic Ravenclaw. Usually it’s open from 10AM-6PM or 8PM depending on the day. It’s free to go anytime and get your own library card (just bring your ID).

For a night of entertainment in the arts, there’s always The Lincoln Center which occasionally has free performances, but it always has concerts and shows both inside the theatre and out.

Hufflepuff:

• Plant loving, herbalist Hufflepuff, the New York Botanical Garden is $20-$25 for student admission, and the Grounds Admission is free to everyone all day Wednesdays and from 9AM-10AM on Saturdays.

• The Conservatory Garden in Central park is also a nice place for a quiet, calm stroll to appreciate the beautiful flowers and plants.

• Community-oriented Hufflepuffs, Central park is a perfect place to spend a day with your friends playing games, having a picnic, going on a gondola ride on the lake, seeing the Central Park zoo, or playing beach volleyball near Sheep’s Meadow.

• Another place to hang out with your friends and enjoy a great view is Governors Island. It is a ferry boat ride away from Manhattan.

Slytherin:

• One World Observatory  on top of the One World Tower is a must for Slytherins. Standard reserved admission starts at $34.

• If you’re a more ambitious Slytherin and can handle the crowds, bustle and smells of Times Square, it is beautiful to visit at night.

• Business- oriented Slytherins would enjoy the grand buildings of the Financial District. The Stock Exchange would be great to see.

The NYSE has tours starting at $35.

• For future world leaders, the United Nations would be a great historical building to see for a global perspective. They have guided and non-guided tours where you can visit the UN exhibits. The UN has daily tours for students starting at $15.

• Slytherins looking to show off their shrewdness, there’s some of the best escape room games in New York at places like Escape Room Madness, Escape Games NYC, Escape the Room NYC.

No matter what your Hogwarts house is, all these places are fun NYC adventures to go on. The possibilities are always endless in New York City.

Women’s studies and psychology major. Writer, photographer, student, animal-lover, book consumer, and activist.