Culture > News

What’s Going on in Ethiopia and How You Can Help

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

First and foremost, this article’s purpose is to stop spreading misleading information, hate against one another, biased opinions, and to educate other Non-Ethiopians and the Ethiopian diaspora community. My personal beliefs and views were not included in this current situation because the focus should be on the thousands of innocent people in danger and at stake. 

TPLF (Tigray People’s Liberation Front) has been a part of the ruling party of EPRDF (Ethiopian People’s Revolutionary Democratic Front) governing Ethiopia for the past three decades before the current prime minister, Abiy Ahmed, took over back in 2018. A few like TPLF thanking them for overtaking the previous political party in power due to mass massacres, dictatorship, and severe refugee crises. However, few say differently; they are accused and known for holding back Ethiopia from growth, opportunities, and prosperity. The organization has been in dispute with the federal government causing political tensions. 

TPLF has been accused of attacking the federal government’s national defense forces and trying to rob military equipment, which they have denied saying so, and it has been rumored that one of the members has confirmed these actions. 

Currently, a six-month state of emergency has been declared in the state of Tigray. Banks are shut down, internet access has been limited or close to being completely shut down, flights are canceled, and thousands flee to neighboring country Sudan. Over 500 people have been killed in Makdira, and the parliament has elected a new head of Tigray. 

All of this political agenda is causing thousands of people their lives. Ethnic clashes, genocides, and war attempts on innocent people are very disappointing. We recognize the political friction between The Tigrayan government and the federal government, but this war can cost millions of innocent people’s lives. Yes, TPLF must be held accountable, but the people of Tigray are being used as shields. It is also capable of causing distribution across borders, which is very dangerous. Many people support the Prime Minister’s actions to declare a civil war against TPLF but declaring war during a pandemic and after their suffrage of locust infestation on their farms is very heartbreaking. So I ask you to donate, sign petitions, spread awareness, and just be informed about this situation as it takes a toll on thousands of people’s lives every day.

#SayNoToWar

#IStandwithTigray

Find ways to help the people in need, petitions to sign for peaceful resolutions, Phone scripts, and much more here

My name is Nuhamin Eyassu but I prefer to go by Naomi Eyassu. I am a first-generation Ethiopian-American from Fairfax, Virginia. I am majoring in Political Science with an emphasis on International Relations at Pace University in New York City. Very passionate about American Literature, old Hollywood films, and screens, writing short stories and fiction overall.