What A Month Of College In NYC Has Taught Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

Moving away and starting my new life in a new place with new people is easily one of the most difficult things I have ever done. I’m not even going to try and downplay it, many meltdowns occurred. I made my move from a small beach town in Florida all the way to Manhattan and it was rough, I felt like I had nobody who could relate and it took me a little while to get out of my own little bubble of wallow and self-pity to realize that every other person around is living the exact same reality as I am. Here are a few things that college life in New York has taught me in the past month.

Dorm life really isn’t THAT bad (for the most part)

Now dorms really get a bad rep. I know they vary between schools, prices, locations and all of that but, in terms of living with other people I got insanely lucky to have two awesome roommates that I love. Also, they can be made to seem a whole lot bigger based on how you utilize your space. 

Don’t take nature for granted.

Walking through Central Park or the Union Square Park is great but, there is nothing like seeing your first tree outside of the city after a month. I went on a quick day trip with my roommates to New Jersey and I cannot even begin to explain the little jump that my heart did as we drove through EMPTY streets lined with trees. Going to the beach for the first time since my move to the city is a whole other sensation that I cannot even begin to describe.

Everything seems expensive!

Who would’ve known toilet paper would be my biggest enemy? Everyday essentials and toiletries all of a sudden seem like they have skyrocketed in price. Although they haven’t money can be a struggle. It can never hurt to try and outline yourself a budget whether you use paper or apps that help you keep track of your money. Also, there are so many free opportunities in the city that are great to explore. Take a walk or go see a free pop up shop!

Personal space is now a foreign concept (and that is just going to have to be okay)

People are everywhere, like absolutely everywhere. Being from a small town that was one thing that took a lot of adjusting for me because I could walk for two miles and not run into a single person while here in the city that’s just not even a possibility. NYC is home to millions of people who are all trying to get somewhere, sometimes that can be overwhelming so it’s good to take a step back and relax every once in a while. 

Classes don’t always have to be so hard.

Now don’t get me wrong there is always going to be that one professor that will make you just want to scream and then drop out. Putting that professor to the side though, classes don’t have to be completely hopeless and draining. The effort that you choose to put in typically reflects your outcome. Also, asking your professors for help is always a good thing to show them that you are dedicated to your academics and hopefully help you figure out whatever you are struggling with. 

Overall, living in NYC isn’t as perfect as it seems but I wouldn’t give it up for anything. 

Hi! I’m Delaney and I’m a Communication Studies Major at Pace University. I have always had a love for writing so this is an outlet to help me share what I experience and feel as I navigate the in’s and out’s of college as well as life in New York City!