FAB3?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
FAB3?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
her campus media
Career > Money

What Elon Musk Should Have Used the Money He Bought Twitter For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

I hate Elon Musk – I do not like to use “hate” very often because it is such a strong word, but he falls on the short list of people I actually hate. Nothing drives me more insane than people who are self-centered and do not give back to their communities. So, these privileged white men, who accumulate massive incomes, and still do not have any regard for the world around them, to me are the worst of the worst.

As we know, Elon Musk recently bought Twitter for $44 Billion. No person should ever have that much wealth. It is disgusting. And for all of the finance bros who seem to think we Musk haters fail to understand how this all works, because “he does not have his net worth in cash, it is assets and stocks”, this action proves you wrong. Instead of continuing to rant about my hatred for this man, here is a list of 5 things this money should have gone towards. 

1. Ending Hunger in the United States – TWICE!

Joe Berg, CEO of Hunger Free America, calculates the cost to end hunger in the US to be $25 billion. 

2. End homelessness in the United States – TWICE!

The US Department of Housing and Urban Development estimated cost to end homelessness is $20 billion

3.Avert global famine – SEVEN TIMES!

WPF proved to Elon Musk that global famine for 2022 could be averted if he donated $6.6 billion 

4. Provide clean water and toilets to 46 developing countries – FOR 70 YEARS!

Water Aid UK estimates this annual cost to be $600 million

5. Double the United States support for Ukraine

So far the US has provided $13.6 billion

Madison Turunen is a student of the Class of 2023 at Pace University, on the New York City campus. She is double majoring in History and Peace & Justice Studies with minors in Women & Gender Studies and Politics. Someday she hopes to go into human rights advocacy. She is a huge activist and environmentalist, with a lean towards gender equality and peace-building. As a part of Her Campus, she has published articles on lifestyle, entertainment, wellness, and news.