This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

I wish I could see your face  

As Heaven opened its gates 

A blur of gold and white  

The timeline of your life  

An idyllic view you must have 

Of us down here, below 

Our mourning soft  

Beside the praise of your glow  

I wish I could write your story  

On rusty pages in every book  

Every movie 

Every song 

An audience you would have 

In the morning sun  

As you look down with a gentle smile 

“Don’t cry, I am here” 

I wish  

I wish 

I wish  

But we know your heart is louder  

And your smile wider 

We know you 

And we will always remember  

Your story written  

In between our fingers and toes 

Stuck to the fridge 

Carved in the crevice of our hearts 

Your story was written  

Deeply and proudly 

I wish it was longer 

But we will always remember  

Every smile  

Every laugh  

We know you 

————————————

Kate Campa was a beautiful young girl from Yuma, Arizona, diagnosed with Ewing Sarcoma, a rare form of cancer. Her fight was long and strong, taking on many different treatment plans that caused pain and discomfort. Despite this all, Kate remained strong from within, her heart glowing with faith and positivity. A warm smile, a simple hug, the smallest tokens of her bravery went such a long way. We lost Kate on October 7th, 2020… but she will never be too far out of reach.    

Ewing Sarcoma was a powerful force and one that still needs to be conquered today. Many of the chemo drugs used to help defeat this cruel disease are immensely outdated. Cyclophosphamide was approved in 1959. Actinomycin D / Dactinomycin was approved in 1964. And the most recent, Ifosfamide, was approved in 1987 —- 33 years ago. These staggering numbers demand change. Kate was an advocate for finding new paths to defeat this disease,  and it is our duty, our privilege to continue her legacy.    

There are many ways in which you can help. We all can be an advocate for Kate, those who struggled before her, and the ones that will come after. First off, educate yourself on these things so you can know where and how to help. Many childhood foundations are useful in stimulating change in these areas. St. Jude has clinical trials, funding, and resources to help children with this disease. There are other organizations to help this deep issue as well… all of which can be supported through donations and awareness. Also, bring attention to this issue. Write about it. Post about it. Stimulate awareness in others as well as yourself. Ewing Sarcoma only has about 4% of funding, which isn’t sufficient. Demand change and speak out to the major foundations and leaders who have a density in these matters. It can be done, and I  have hope that it will.    

Please pray for the family of Kate Campa and help them find peace in a season of longing and heartache.    

The gold brimmed around her wings glowed in the sunlight as she flew toward a fate unforeseen. A brilliant glow, unending spark, the light in the sky was her flying high.  

We love you, Kate.  

coffee drinking, Taylor Swift loving, crazy dancing, book reading, nyc dreaming twenty year old student!! (as kindly described by her bestie Katie)<3