Culture > News

Tragedy Strikes the University of Virginia

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

On Sunday, Nov. 13, police responded to reports of gunshots near a parking garage on Culbreth Road, surrounded by academic buildings, at around 10:30 pm. Students had been on a bus, returning from a class trip to Washington, D.C. Two of the three victims were found in the bus, and one was taken to the hospital where he later succumbed to his injuries. Two more students also sustained injuries. University President, Jim Ryan, identified the three victims as fourth-year-student D’Sean Perry, second-year-student Devin Chandler, and third-year-student Lavel Davis Jr. All of whom were on the University of Virginia Cavaliers Football Team. Hundreds of people gathered for a candlelight vigil on the university’s south lawn Monday evening.

D’Sean Perry, a linebacker from Miami, was a studio-art major. His high school coach, Earl Sims, remembered Perry as, “An amazing soul that made his family and community proud.” Sims continued, “His moral high character and integrity spoke volumes about the young man he was becoming. His presence was rich and made every encounter worthwhile.” UVA’s president Cliff King shared some words about Perry as well, “His kind heart, quick wit, and ready smile made him a favorite among his peers, teachers, and coaches.”

Prior to transferring to UVA, Devin Chandler was a wide receiver at the University of Wisconsin. Alvis Whitted, his former wide receiver coach, said Chandler was, “an exceptional player,” and, “All around good guy who had a smile that would light up any room.” In his statement, the football coach of the University of Wisconsin, Jim Leonhard, said about Chandler, “His personality was infectious, and he was a joy to be around.”

UVA Police Chief Timothy Longo Sr. said the gunshots reports prompted a 12-hour shelter-in-place. Over 500 people sheltered in campus buildings, including libraries and classrooms. Monday classes were canceled, followed by the cancellation of Tuesday classes to “give students the opportunity to reflect, mourn, and gather with each other,” according to a news release from the university. The suspect was arrested around 11 a.m. Monday morning, about 80 miles east of Charlottesville. As of now, police have offered no motive for the attack. 

Virginia state governor Glenn Youngkin called the shooting a “horrific tragedy” in a tweet. Vice President Harris also offered her condolences, “It’s tragic. Of course, our prayers are with the families of the victims and it’s just yet another reminder that we have to do better in terms of gun safety in this country.”

So far in 2022, there have been at least 68 school shootings, 15 being on college campuses. According to the Gun Violence Archive, this incident is one of 600 mass shootings in the United States this year. 

Growing up, my early years in the education system consisted of reading, writing, arithmetic, and school shooter drills. I remember being gathered in the auditorium where we were informed on what to do if a “bad person” was to gain access to the building. I remember my hometown having its own scare of a school shooting. I was in the 1st grade. Thankfully, it was a false alarm, but all I can remember is how tight my mom hugged me at dismissal. I was a freshman in high school when the Parkland shooting happened. I remember the shock and devastation. I remember speaking at and holding a rally at my school. I remember chanting the words, “never again.” I went to high school with a current student at UVA. My heart breaks for the students, faculty, families, and anyone in the community in Charlottesville. 

May the deceased rest in peace, and may our lawmakers grow a spine and conscience to stop these monstrosities from occurring.    

Adeesa is a junior at Pace University and Her Campus Pace's instagram assistant as well as a chapter contributor :) She posts on our chapter's Instagram page detailing information about our weekly meetings, promoting our club events, the publication of articles, and engaging content for our club members and followers. As for article writing, her pieces tend to be more news oriented (she's a poli sci major!). Adeesa enjoys spreading political awareness amongst her peers, and taking political issues that seem big and complex and making them easy to understand. Adeesa has been the Instagram assistant at HCP for two years, and previously was the Facebook assistant. In addition to Her Campus, Adeesa is a graphic designer for The Pace Press, Pace University's newspaper. She has been doing social media for three years now, since she was a junior in high school and promoting her Model UN team conferences. In her free time, Adeesa loves listening to music, watching rom-coms, and exploring New York. You can find her scrolling through TikTok, making (yet another) playlist, or at the nearest poke restaurant. If you need a poster designed or a friend to chat, Adeesa is your girl!