Harry Styles performing at the 2021 Grammy Awards
Photo by Francis Specker / CBS

The Top 6 2021 Grammys Performances

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

The 2021 Grammys took place this past weekend and while it looked different than usual because of covid, some things stayed the same; like performances. This year’s Grammys was exciting and seemed almost fresh compared to previous years. Music played a huge role in getting a lot of us through the pandemic so it was only fitting to honor these musicians. With the extensive amount of performances, many stood out. However, these 6 performances from a few nights ago stuck out and were remembered, at least by me. These are my choices in the top 6 performances seen in the 2021 Grammys. 

Lil Baby 

Lil Baby takes the spot for top performance of the night by a long shot. In his 4-minute time slot, Lil Baby’s performance of his song “The Bigger Picture” blew me away. It starts out bringing awareness to Rayshard Brooks’ murder, a 27-year-old Black man that was shot and killed by a police officer after falling asleep in his car outside of a Wendy’s restaurant in June 2020. In this depiction, Lil Baby walks through the streets rapping about the injustice in America while also showing us scenes greatly familiar after this last summer. Walking through the remnants of a protest, Lil Baby at one point seems to throw a match that sets a building aflame, a topic of much controversy throughout America when the BLM movement was at its height this last year. He, however, doesn’t stop there. In the middle of his performance he pauses and Tamika Mallory, an activist, has a 30-second speech calling out injustice and Biden with a set of demands for the upcoming year. Lil Baby’s performance blew me away, not only did he use his platform and time slot to make a difference, he did exactly what someone with a platform SHOULD DO, advocate for what they believe in. 

Da Baby

The number 2 spot goes to Da Baby’s performance simply because it was so simple and encapsulating. Da Baby performed a new rendition of his song Rockstar. A slowed, dramatized performance including Roddy Rich, live orchestra, and background singers were just incredible. Da Baby starts his performance by conducting the live instrumentalists and vocalists behind him, dripping in an all white suite and jewelry galore, shining in the stage lights. Not only did Da Baby KILL this performance, he also looked so incredibly sexy while doing it therefore he deserves this ranking. 

Cardi B and Megan Thee Stallion

Cardi and Megan rocked this performance putting them at my number 3. The set, the outfits, and the choreography were all incredible. As if opening with UP and transitioning to WAP wasn’t enough, the stiletto stripper pole really did it for me. I loved this performance because we saw women embracing their sexuality and eating it up on stage. It was fun, it was entertaining, and it proved that these two women are forces to be reckoned with, even if half their songs need to be censored. 

Megan Thee Stallion 

Whew oh whew, the 2021 Grammys was the year of Megan AS IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN. Not only was this her first performance at the Grammys but was also her first time there period. After this past highlight of a year, Megan performed body and savage. With her classy dancers dressed in flapper-esque outfits, MASKED UP! Not only did Megan look great but she also hit a high kick and split in the middle of rapping so all the credit to her. 

Dua Lipa

While I’m not a huge Dua Lipa fan, her performance Sunday was so cute and fun. After being meme’d by the internet for her dancing skills, I did not have high expectations. I, however, was pleasantly surprised! Not only did she sound great but she also had a beautiful set that made her look like she was floating among the clouds. She also gets extra points for Da Baby’s fine ass making an appearance during her set.

Taylor Swift

Taylor looked so elegant and ethereal on Sunday. Her last performance at the Grammys was in 2016 and it was only fitting for her to come back and perform a five-minute long mashup of three folklore songs that later went on to win Album of the Year! Her set, a forest and cabin, was not only beautiful but also fit the songs and storyline so well. I love how Taylor carried the story and “universe” of folklore into every aspect of her performance. 

While the Grammys is confusing and I still have no clue who the “academy” is, this year I was pleasantly surprised and entertained by each performance. I hope this continues as a trend for future years and the Grammys reclaim their title as the biggest night in music. Not only did I find new musicians this year, but I also gained a newfound respect for multiple artists that performed!

Gillian is currently a senior at Pace University on the NYC Campus. She is originally from Baltimore, Maryland where she earned her AA degree at the Community College of Baltimore County. She is majoring in communications at Pace and loves writing as a hobby. Her favorite day of the week is Sunday and her favorite color is forest green. She also reminds you to recycle! She can be found on all social medias @jillrh02