Top 10 Things To Do In NYC For Christmas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

Union Square Holiday Market

• If you are struggling to find decent Christmas gifts, take a trip to Union Square Market. Not only is it beautiful and Christmas-y, but you can also do your Christmas shopping! There are unique gifts for everyone on your list that you can’t get anywhere else.
  • How to Get There from Pace: Take the 4-5-6 from Brooklyn Bridge/City Hall or Fulton to 14th St/Union Square

Metropolitan Museum of Art

• The Met has Christmas tree lightings every day at 4:30 pm (5:30 and 6:30 on weekends as well) and a spectacular nativity on display for the Christmas season. Stop by to enjoy the art AND the holiday season.
  • How to Get There from Pace: Take the 4-5 from Brooklyn Bridge/City Hall to 86th St or the 6 to 77th St

Central Park

• Stop by Wollman Rink for some ice skating! It’s located on the east side between 62nd and 63rd Street, just a 20-minute walk from The Met.  Enjoy the city views and get in the holiday spirit.
  • How to Get There from Pace: Take the A-C from Fulton to 59 St Columbus circle or the 4-5 from Brooklyn Bridge/City Hall to 59th St/ Lexington Ave Station

Bryant Park

• If you dare to travel into midtown, a great place to visit is the Bryant Park Winter Village. You can go ice skating with great city views. Then, hop over to the Christmas market and warm up with some hot cocoa or apple cider.
  • How to Get There from Pace: Take the 2-3 from Fulton to Times Square/42nd St or the 4-5-6 from Brooklyn Bridge/City Hall to Grand Central/42nd St

Rolf’s German Restaurant

• See Rolf’s famous Christmas display and eat some great food at this classic NYC restaurant.
  • How to Get There from Pace: Take the 6 from Brooklyn Bridge/City Hall to 23rd St or the R-W from Cortland St to 23rd St.

Rockefeller Center

• The epitome of Christmas in NYC is ice skating in Rockefeller Center beneath the famous Christmas tree. While you’re there, you can visit Radio City Music Hall to see the Rockettes in the Radio City Christmas Spectacular!
  • How to Get There from Pace: Take the 6 from Brooklyn Bridge/ City Hall to 51St or the E from WTC to 5th Ave/53rd St.

Dyker Heights Lights

• Head over to Brooklyn and see the Christmas displays that the residents of Dyker Heights put out. You can join a tour or save money and walk around 11th Avenue to 13th Avenue and 83rd to 86th Street.
  • How to Get There from Pace: Take the 2-3 from Fulton to Atlantic Ave/Barclays Center then transfer to the D and take that to 18th Ave.

5th Avenue Window Displays

• Do some window shopping on 5th Avenue and take a look at the enchanting Christmas window displays. Some of the most famous ones are Barneys, Bloomingdales, Saks, Macy’s, Lord and Taylor, and Bergdorf and Goodman. I recommend Macy’s since my favorite Christmas movie, Miracle on 34th St, took place there. Side note, I highly recommend watching that before you go there.
  • How to Get There from Pace: The window displays are in multiple locations, but you can find a handy guide with all of the essential displays mapped out here

IFC Center’s Showing of ‘It’s a Wonderful Life’

• See Frank Capra’s classic Christmas movie, ‘It’s a Wonderful Life’, in theaters at IFC Center in the West Village. It shows from December 11th until Christmas Eve. For a list of showtimes, visit this website.
  • How to Get There from Pace: Take the A-C from Fulton St to West 4th St./ Washington Square or the E from WTC.

New York City Ballet’s ‘The Nutcracker’

• Last but not least, see the Christmas classic ‘The Nutcracker’ performed by the New York City Ballet at the David H. Koch Theater! In my opinion, you should do this at least once in your life. Get tickets here!
  • How to Get There from Pace: Take the A-C from Fulton St to 59th St/ Columbus Circle or the 2-3 to 72nd St/Broadway
i love my dog