This is Us cast Graphic
This is Us cast Graphic
Photo by NBC / Design by Nick Collini

This Is Us and This Is the Final Chapter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

After five incredible years, the NBC hit show, This Is Us is concluding its story on January 4th, 2022. 

The show first aired in September of 2016, portraying a beautiful story that revolves around family. It is a generational story spanning different eras in time, taking on the past, present, and future of the Pearson family. The show touches on many difficult topics such as insecurity, abuse, the loss of a parent and partner, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), alcoholism, and more. 

The creator, Dan Fogelman, has stated on multiple occasions that he has known how he wanted to conclude the Pearson story from the beginning. Everything and everyone has been intentional and integral towards revealing more of the family’s story. And in re-watching in preparation for the final season, it is great to see what little moments I have missed when I was first watching the episodes as they aired. 

I know for me, personally, this show has been a long time comfort show ever since it first aired and I am sad to see it coming to an end. Hands down a couple of my favorite episodes are Season 3 Episode 1 entitled “Nine Bucks” and Season 5 Episode 11 entitled, “One Small Step…”. 

In regards to the show’s final season and some predictions I have, I know that this final season will bring great closure. The last episode of Season 5, “The Adirondacks” ended with a big shocker. A foreshadowing that not only do Kate (Chrissy Metz) and Toby’s (Chris Sullivan) marriage fall through. But, Kate is getting re-married and to her boss, Phillip (Chris Geere), and I, for one, was not prepared for it. Finally, as far as predictions go, I think the series might end with the death of Rebecca (Mandy Moore) and audiences might see her reunite with Jack (Milo Ventimiglia) in the afterlife. And, anyone who knows me knows that I have clung to this theory since the fourth season. Also, I am so excited to see more scenes that take place in the future, hopefully involving the kids of Kevin (Justin Hartley), Kate, and Randall (Sterling K. Brown). I know some episodes, sparingly throughout the season, have shown some of the children as adults, and I just can’t wait for the full picture. 

As a huge fan of the show, I will not let go of this story long after it is over. You can always catch me re-watching it at any point of the day. 

Ashley Geiser is the Editor-In-Chief/Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Pace. She oversees all the writers on the team, manages the overall responsibilities and duties of the editors, and publishes the final copy of all articles on the website. She likes to work one-on-one with the writers, helping them gain confidence in their work and hosting monthly editorial workshops to get everyone familiar with Her Campus guidelines and AP style. Beyond her work with Her Campus at Pace, she works as a tutor at the Writing Center for Pace University and serves as an editor for the University’s student magazine, 'Aphros.' Some of her poetry has appeared in Pace University’s 'Chroma' magazine and placed in the English Department Writing Awards. She is currently a senior studying for her bachelor’s degree in English Language and Literature with a concentration in Creative Writing, as well as working towards her master’s degree in Publishing at Pace University. Outside of her academic responsibilities, Ashley usually spends her time reading and writing all forms of poetry. She loves any type of romantic comedy movies, among her favorites are 'Made of Honor' and 'The Wedding Date.' She also enjoys baking; her favorite recipe is a chocolate chip mint cookie of her own design.