Riverdale: An Exclusive Look at Season Three

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

*This article contains spoilers for Riverdale Seasons 1 + 2*

Riverdale: we know it, we love it, and it returns with its new season on Wednesday. Whether you are more of a Betty or Veronica, if you’re a fan, we’ll all be tuning in at 8 PM. Last season left us with many unanswered questions; where is Chic? Will Archie be put in jail? What will Cheryl’s initiation into the Southside Serpents mean for the group? To describe season three of Riverdale, those who know it best used “run don’t walk,” “edge of your seat,” “captivating,” and “definitely the game changer.” While at a Riverdale sneak peek and Q & A with Lili Reinhart (Betty Cooper), KJ Apa (Archie Andrews), Luke Perry (Fred Andrews), Madchen Amick (Alice Cooper), and Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa (the show’s creator); I got the inside scoop on season three- and it sounds like it will be the most suspense-filled, dramatic one yet. 

To start, we know that last season’s villain-in-disguise was none other than Hiram Lodge, but this season he is going to take a step up to being a full-fledged bad guy. It does not stop there; this is Riverdale after all- and a new “big bad” will be introduced; the Gargoyle King. Though it may sound like it, this character will not be supernatural- but a hint as to what exactly he is can be found in the red antlers at the bottom of the season three poster. This sounds ominous- as if the citizens of Riverdale have not been tortured enough.

Relating to the supernatural (and shows based on comics), Aguirre-Sacasa was asked about the possibility of a Riverdale/The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina crossover event. In response, he simply stated, “never say never ever.” He does love crossovers, but for now, Sabrina is launching on its own. The Gargoyle King will not be the only new character. They are also bringing in Evelyn Evernever and her father, Edgar Evernever. Edgar is the leader of the cultish “farm” that Polly escaped to while the Black Hood was terrorizing Riverdale. This character lures Alice to the farm, much to Betty’s dismay. On top of that, we will finally get to see Jellybean and Gladys Jones played by Trinity Likins and Gina Gershon.

Alice Cooper is going through a rough patch, her husband, Hal, was proven to be The Black Hood and she learned that the man she thought was her son, Chic, was actually a stranger who murdered her son and stole his identity. This season will find her in the midst of another brawl with Betty, juggling relationships with both F.P. Jones and Edgar Evernever, and wearing lots of uncharacteristically 70s-inspired, flowy outfits to go with her new life at the farm. The Betty-vs-Alice dynamic is not new to the show, and Lili Reinhart commented: “right when you think they’re at peace, Alice does a 180.” In response, Madchen Amick added “Oh Alice does a 180…” to which Reinhart replied, “yeah that’s what you do when you join a cult.” Fred Andrews will cultivate relationships with the dads of Riverdale, possibly as a result of Archie being put on trial for the murder of Cassidy, a clerk from Shadow Lake.  One especially exciting episode will be episode four, where the actors playing the kids will portray younger versions of their Riverdale parents in a Halloween episode. Lili Reinhart had a particularly fun time shooting this special. She did all her own makeup on this season and used old photos of Madchen Amick as Shelly on Twin Peaks as inspiration. Reinhart went all out, with curly hair, lip liner, and dark brows- gaining Amick’s approval on accuracy (Amick declared “she nailed it”). The cast anticipates the flashback episode will become a fan favorite.

If you are a fan of the show, chances are you have a favorite couple. For Varchie fans I have some bad news: they will be experiencing a bit of a rough patch this season. On the other hand, Bughead fans will be very pleased. The “core four” (Archie, Betty, Veronica, and Jughead) are all over the place, each with their own problems. The hardest episode of this coming season for Lili Reinhart to film was episode seven, as it was  “physically demanding and emotionally exhausting.” It seems as though Betty won’t be getting a break from the constant emotional and physical trauma this time around- we know that the last episode left us with her father being revealed as The Black Hood. However, we won’t be seeing any more of “Dark Betty.” Lili Reinhart confirmed that the black wig is gone; “now I think of ‘Dark Betty’ as when her rage and anxiety from inside overflows… it’s just her inner demons kind of coming out… she’s under traumatic circumstances and pressure and stress. She’s obviously still battling those demons.” This is a recurring struggle in the show. During every hiatus, Aguirre-Sacasa says to Reinhart that “Betty’s going to be happy, but then it just spirals.” Lili Reinhart remarked, “you see Betty kind of go through even more than you thought, this girl’s just not lucky.”  Clearly, season three of Riverdale will be one of the creepiest, scariest seasons yet, and its premiere is definitely not one to be missed. 

Hi! I'm an editorial intern at Her Campus and Senior Editor at HC Pace! I can recite Gilmore Girls lines from memory and you can find me wherever books, dogs, or concerts are.