This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

In 2003, Baltimore band All Time Low formed. In 2006, they released their first EP, Put Up or Shut Up. But yet, it was in 2020 that the pop punk band cemented their place in history. This past April, All Time Low released their eighth album Wake Up, Sunshine which got good reviews, but it was definitely a different type of release than they’ve ever done. Due to the pandemic, they were unable to tour with this album, but that didn’t stop them. They did Twitch streams, videos dissecting each track on the album, and five different online concerts (my personal favorite being Jack’s concert set). While many artists struggled to promote and release music and content during this pandemic, it has worked out surprisingly well for All Time Low. 

For starters, their song “Monsters” featuring rapper Blackbear has charted higher than any of their previous songs. Released on April 3rd along with the rest of Wake Up, Sunshine, the song has taken residency in alt charts. For 18 weeks, “Monsters” was number one on alternative airplay charts. Not only has it become the third longest number one in alt charts history, but it’s also broken onto the Billboard charts, becoming their second song to do so (The first being “Damned If I Do Ya (Damned If I Don’t)” in 2009). They were even asked to perform the song on Good Morning America, marking their first daytime television performance. Additionally, they released a remix of “Monsters,” featuring long time friend Demi Lovato that was released this past December. Independently, this would mark a huge success for All Time Low, but this isn’t the only recent breakthrough they’ve had.  

Ever since the start of quarantine, I have been regressing back into my emo phase, and the “Dear Maria” trend on TikTok proves I am not the only one.“Dear Maria, Count Me In” has been a staple for both their fans and emo kids everywhere since its release in 2007, but due to TikTok, it has had a revival that has led to even more charting success for All Time Low. It has now entered rock streaming charts, where it has peaked at number five. The trend was started by @yungricepatty, where he said “Mom, it was never a phase, it’s a lifestyle” then started singing along to the track. It’s now been recreated over and over again, not just by other TikTok users, but by the band themselves. Lead singer Alex Gaskarth and guitarist Jack Barakat made one together, as well as drummer Rian Dawson making one. The band has also made a t-shirt with the iconic phrase, which is now available. And this trend is definitely proof that it is a lifestyle, because here we are, 17 years after the formation of All Time Low talking about their continuous success.

Throughout all of their career, All Time Low has received consistent praise, but it was a perfect storm of events during crazy times that has bumped them up to a new level. Whether it be hearing “Monsters” on the radio or hearing “Dear Maria” on your for you page, everyone has had All Time Low on their minds. And, now that the band is back in the studio, I can’t wait to see what happens next. Because, as I told my mom as I was listening to them in 2013, loving All Time Low isn’t a phase, it’s a lifestyle.

Hi! I'm Em and I'm an English major at Pace in NYC. I love talking about music, pop culture, and Taylor Swift's best bridges.