Reasons Why Incoming Freshmen Need to Join Her Campus!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

Joining Her Campus was the best decision I made after my choice to come to Pace. I still remember my first meeting where everyone went around and introduced themselves. I felt so at home in the cluster of female writers, and I knew right away that there was potential for me to grow there. Did I say grow? I meant blossom, because that’s what I’ve done since becoming a writer for Her Campus Pace.

1) Empowered Women Empower Women

Before coming to Her Campus I felt uncomfortable with my gender identity. As I’ve grown older, I’ve become aware of the gender inequalities that exist and the unique struggles that come with being an adult woman. Participating in Her Campus has led me in becoming comfortable with my femininity and has allowed me to see that I am not alone in my female challenges; women are stronger together. Being able to express my struggles through articles and reading others’, has made me see how relatable my feelings are compared to those of others women. Of course it didn’t hurt that my chapter officers were strong role models who helped me see the kind of woman I want to be.

2) The Opportunities Her Campus Provides

Her Campus is unlike any other organization I’ve ever participated in. They send us survival kits packed with amazing products every season. I use these items in my everyday life, but would never have heard about them if it wasn’t for Her Campus. So for that alone, thanks! Aside from that, Her Campus is unparalleled in their publishing process. Being a writer, I’ve tried multiple platforms to display my work on, but their demands are often weekly and provide specific topics for writers. This can be hard to juggle while taking college classes, maintaining a job, and attempting to keep a social life. Her Campus is different. They recognize that young women have lives and aren’t able to write articles on a weekly basis. Being able to schedule myself has made it possible for me to participate in this organization. It also makes your writing better because you are able to pick topics that you are passionate about during weeks when you can give your passions the time they deserve. Her Campus also allows you to build a portfolio of your writing so you gain experience in the journalism field. Having published work on your resume is a huge plus for most employers. Members are also able to grow within the organization by becoming chapter officers, Campus Trendsetters, and Campus Correspondents. All positions that give you the experience you need to become a leader in the working world!

3) The Satisfaction of Seeing Your Articles Published Online

There is nothing like googling the name of your article and seeing it pop up at the top of the Google results list. Better than that… googling your name! Last year if I googled myself no result even remotely resembling me would come up. Just White Pages links and pictures of women named Miranda because apparently Amanda and Miranda are the same name.  Now when I take the plunge into the deep, dark web, my Her Campus articles are the top results; I am officially somebody on the internet! Yay! Of course everyone also gets those “You go girl!”, “Such talent!”, “So proud of you!” messages from your beloved grandmas and family friends on Facebook. If that doesn’t put a smile on your face, then my friend you’d better take some more drastic measures and invest in a tub of ice cream.

4) Being Pampered with Awesome Products 

Being spoiled is never bad! Especially when it’s with everything from Bed Head Queen for a Day Hair Spray to Alba Botanica Green Tea Sunscreen. Her Campus pampers its well deserving members with amazing products. Receiving these products has opened me up to brands I’d never heard of, but now love! Not to mention these care packages help us in general. Studies show that it costs more to be a woman than a man. This fact hits especially hard for women in college. The struggle of paying for books and transportation is enough without the added worry of menstrual products and contraceptives. Being able to get basic care products for free helps more than imaginable.

5) The Support and Friendly Faces  

Seeing the same smiling faces at every Her Campus meeting and knowing that they’re the ones taking the time to read my articles made it easier to write. The best part about writing for Her Campus is that it’s not just for writers; it’s an outlet for psych majors, finance majors, film students, and beyond to express themselves as women with individual voices. My peers never made me feel like my work was subpar; their support was endless. On rough days going to a Her Campus meeting to be greeted by welcoming officers and members made life’s stressors that much more bearable.

With the incredible resume building and social opportunities Her Campus has to offer, every college freshman should immerse themselves in the HC world!

Hi, I'm Amanda! I'm from Long Island, New York. Writing is my greatest passion. I plan on turning my love for the written word into a career within the film industry.