Bridgerton cast posing for Netflix poster
Netflix

The Real Reason Historical Dramas Are So Addictive

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

Ever wonder why historical dramas are so addictive? Recently, it feels as though period dramas- like “Bridgerton,” Pride and Prejudice, and “Reign-” have been capturing the attention of many and are one of the most talked about topics on social media. 

One major reason is the nostalgic allure that these movies and tv shows create. The time and place is set so well; the music, fashion, and language leaves people longing to go back to these eras. Who wouldn’t want to wear a corset and feel like the diamond of the season waiting for a proper suitor? Viewers get a good sense of a time period that otherwise really isn’t explored a lot- of course, a fair amount is over dramatized and fudged to make it more appealing to the audiences, but these eras are being brought vibrantly back to life. 

Another reason is the storylines- I mean, besides the fact that Kiera Knightly looks like a literal goddess in every part she plays, from Pride and Prejudice to Anna Karenina, and that the Duke of Hastings (Regé-Jean Page) is very pleasant to look at while on screen. Many of these dramas have a slow burn love that typically starts with a slight dislike for one another or ignoring of very obvious feelings towards each other that eventually gets harder to deny over the course of the movie. We see these small scenes that are so focused on the slightest bits of intimacy, whether it be a long held stare from across a ballroom or a slight brush of the hands. And the viewers become hooked and almost waiting in anticipation for these short but major moments that linger in our minds and because the smallest gesture can so much more than words and in the 19th century, the physical aspects of human connection were very much taboo; a woman must keep her virtue and remain untouched until she is wedded. It’s this overtly passionate love that comes from absolutely giving yourself to one person and craving every part of them, that keeps people entertained and wanting that same kind of love. 

Lastly, these historical dramas bring a sense of comfort to some people. It is in a sense a comforting thought that people that were alive hundreds of years ago, even though maybe not actual people but rather characters, still dealt with the same issues we deal with today whether it be money, love, or realizing we don’t want to go a traditional route of accomplishing things.

Ashley Geiser is the Editor-In-Chief/Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Pace. She oversees all the writers on the team, manages the overall responsibilities and duties of the editors, and publishes the final copy of all articles on the website. She likes to work one-on-one with the writers, helping them gain confidence in their work and hosting monthly editorial workshops to get everyone familiar with Her Campus guidelines and AP style. Beyond her work with Her Campus at Pace, she works as a tutor at the Writing Center for Pace University and serves as an editor for the University’s student magazine, 'Aphros.' Some of her poetry has appeared in Pace University’s 'Chroma' magazine and placed in the English Department Writing Awards. She is currently a senior studying for her bachelor’s degree in English Language and Literature with a concentration in Creative Writing, as well as working towards her master’s degree in Publishing at Pace University. Outside of her academic responsibilities, Ashley usually spends her time reading and writing all forms of poetry. She loves any type of romantic comedy movies, among her favorites are 'Made of Honor' and 'The Wedding Date.' She also enjoys baking; her favorite recipe is a chocolate chip mint cookie of her own design.