This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

Eighteen-year-old Olivia Rodrigo launched her music career early January 2021 with her debut single “drivers license,” immediately becoming a worldwide sensation. This song broke records for the most streamed song on release day with a total of 15 million streams. It has also become the longest running debut single to hold #1 on the charts for nine consecutive weeks. After this absolutely top tier performance on “drivers license” fans were eager for Rodrigo to release more, and thankfully only had to wait a couple short months. April 1, 2021 marked the release day of Olivia’s second single titled “deja vu.” With a stunning music video and another set of incredible lyrics this song is destined to be another showstopper. 

The music video for “deja vu” is set at the coastlines of California, giving off an easy and beachy summer aesthetic. This sun-kissed video is full of retro style pieces with the captivating opening image of Olivia driving a vintage Mercedes wearing a Versace head scarf. Right away her lyrics create a story with the images of “strawberry ice cream,” “trading jackets,” and “watching Glee.” She sets the tone for her past relationship, a total romantic scene of two teenagers laughing and happily in love with each other in the summertime. As we move into the chorus the music video spits the mirror image of all these moments, only they are now with another girl. While the lyrics and musical composition are gorgeous, the true message behind the song is a strong dig at the guy who took all their memories and recreated them with someone new. The song starts soft but ends with a climax of rage and rebellion for all the times she spent loving him, only for him to reuse them and disregard her completely. The video goes right along with this chaotic energy, and stems back to the retro theme, with multiple TV screens smashed in a pit of anger. Olivia has truly outdone herself yet again, proving with each new song she is a force to be reckoned with. 

I am so thrilled to be following a young new artist and am lucky to have the honor of seeing her grow from the ground up. I think we can all agree that after hearing her original song “All I Want” in the first season of Disney+’s show High School Musical: The Musical: The Series we were sold on Olivia Rodrigo’s talent. While that was the first song written by Olivia we got in 2019, which is now certified platinum, she has only continued to write and produce music both individually and for the show. I for one am super excited to see what she has in store for us in season two along with her debut album releasing soon. With an idol like Taylor Swift and the talent she possesses, there is no doubt in my mind that Olivia Rodrigo was made to be a pop sensation. Her music career is only just beginning, I can’t say what she has in store next for us, but while we eagerly wait and see, I will happily be streaming “deja vu” on repeat.

Abigail is a freshman communication studies major at Pace University NYC. She loves to dance, read, hang out with friends, and listen to Taylor Swift!