My Experience at the New Maggie-Rogers-Endorsed Piercing Studio in NYC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pace chapter.

Have you ever wanted to attain that Kaia-Gerber-cool level of ear piercings? Well, look no further. Studs is a piercing studio that just (November 19- so emphasis on the JUST) opened on Prince St. in New York City, and also happens to have recently pierced Gerber herself. 

@kaiagerber gets pierced at Studs with the Snakebite piercing ✨✨

A post shared by Studs (@studs) on

I first learned about it through Witchy Feminist Rockstar Maggie Rogers’s Instagram story, which instructed viewers to “go get pierced-” what was I gonna do? Say no? 

Upon walking in, I was instantly hit by the Glossier-like chicness (read: slightly intimidating aura) of the store. Everything was bright and fluorescent, from the pure white floors and benches to the yellow walls with mirror accents. Sparkly earrings of all shapes and sizes were on display, and cute letter boards showed the prices. I hadn’t scheduled an appointment in advance, but the friendly staff put me on the list for a piercing an hour later and even handed me a gift card for Cha Cha Matcha. I got a text saying “you’re on the waitlist!” that let me click a link to check my place in line as well as my appointed time. My friend and I walked to the matcha store, which was only a couple of minutes away, and enjoyed our delicious free matcha lattes while we waited. After we were sufficiently matcha-ed up and I was second in line, we headed back to Studs, where free lollipops, stickers, and water (both still and sparkling) were waiting. We passed the time by jamming to the expertly-curated playlist and reading the magazines on the table. 

Soon enough, it was time for me to get pierced. Ash, my piercer, helped me figure out which piercing I wanted (upper lobe) and which earrings I wanted. Studs emphasize “earscapes-” which they define as “the combined art and science of decorating one’s ear with personalized piercings and earrings, resulting in a form of extreme self-expression.” I entered my information on an iPad while Ash sterilized all the piercing instruments. We went to the piercing room where she cleaned the area, marked where the piercing would be, made sure I liked it, and then it was time to pierce! The process was surprisingly quick and painless- Studs uses disposable needles to pierce and I only felt a little pressure when it went through my earlobe.    

(my new piercing right after my appointment- she’s a lil red!)

I paid at the counter and was given a rewards card and stick-on earrings in a cute lil pouch, as well as a card with all the details I needed to care for my new piercing until it healed. Part of Studs’s philosophy is affordability, meaning your new piercing won’t break the bank (especially important for college students). The earrings are priced individually and vary based on the design (they also have fine jewelry available at higher price points). My experience at Studs was amazing and I would definitely recommend it to anyone else thinking of getting a piercing (who knows- maybe I’ll be back for another)!   

Hi! I'm an editorial intern at Her Campus and Senior Editor at HC Pace! I can recite Gilmore Girls lines from memory and you can find me wherever books, dogs, or concerts are.